GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Way to Steal Cars

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's really only helpful if the thief wants a specific car. The thief still has to steal it the old fashioned way. The Air Tag just locates the car.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Apple really should make its so both iphone and android users can scan for air tags in their area. So say if you park away from anybody and get an air tag ping you know someone is tracking you.

Edit: Looks like apple is working on an android app: https://9to5mac.com/2021/06/03/airtag-privacy-improvements-sound-android-app/
This should have been released right along with air tags...terrible Apple left android users open to being unknowingly tracked.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Click-bait.

AirTags tracking plays no other role in the actual theft process.

The article is saying thieves use air tags to track cars to a victims home.

They could do that same thing with the victims license plate number and $25.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Click-bait.

The article is saying thieves use air tags to track cars to a victims home.

They could do that same thing with the victims license plate number and $25.
How much does an Air Tag cost?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
How much does an Air Tag cost?

Looks to be about $30. But you could make the argument that the Air Tag is reusable 🤣

The point is, the original article from the York Region Police, which is being used as a base for all these articles, states they suspect Air Tags being used in 5 thefts. Out of 2,000+ reported thefts.

Like I said, pretty much just click-bait.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Looks to be about $30. But you could make the argument that the Air Tag is reusable 🤣

The point is, the original article from the York Region Police, which is being used as a base for all these articles, states they suspect Air Tags being used in 5 thefts. Out of 2,000+ reported thefts.

Like I said, pretty much just click-bait.

Most thieves actually scroll through the for sale ads/websites & forums like this...

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I've seen some stories of people being tracked via airtags, either by parents or ex boyfriends. Anytime anyone hears about airtags, its always "i'm being tracked" never anything good.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
What could possibly go wrong by voluntarily putting a tracking device on your vehicle?

That said msn is shitbait