GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

new upgraded IS38 from Revo

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
It sounds great, but then again, there's no such thing as a free lunch. Bigger internals means more mass to accelerate and more volume to fill, which also leads to increased turbo lag, just like you get when you simply bolt on a bigger turbo. You can either spool up quickly or get more boost. That's it, unless you start adding things like a supercharger in conjunction with a turbo. Yes, there are tricks that can be done with variable geometry and electrically boosted designs, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the Revo turbo here. Essentially, this turbo is internally larger without increasing the external dimensions. It does, however, let you get the qualities of a bigger turbo in a direct, bolt on, unit.

But please don't fall for the line that it allows you to retain the ". . .reliability of a daily commuter with a level of performance on tap to rival supercars when you need it." If you believe that your EA888 can pump out 520 horsepower without significantly straining a whole host of internal pieces, then you probably believe that endometriosis is caused by "demon sperm," that alien DNA is being used in modern medicine, that scientists are currently working on a vaccine to prevent people from becoming religious, and that the American government is partly run by non-human reptilians. Then again, did I spot a hydroxychloroquine injector being hooked up to that Revo turbo?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG

Aussie R

Ready to race!
Al, I think you’re right. Clearly going to add extra lag. It’s the price to pay for extra power top end.

Also to run 520hp going to push engine to limit. I’d expect rebuild at some point. I think racingline kept their stage 3 turbo to 480hp to attempt to limit stress on engine. Anything 500+ clearly going to shorten engine life significantly.

if you have the budget to do stage 3 properly and have brakes, suspension to match and track then I guess you’re probably already aware that you’ll need to upgrade engine internals at some point.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Torque is really the number you want to be concerned with, versus BHP. Since this is just a hybrid turbo (like the dozens of hybrid turbos on the market now, made by a handful of China/Taiwan sources) the main difference in performance is going to be the tune. If REVO puts together an HPFP upgrade and safe tune that holds torque to the ~420 ft lbs, doesn't try to ramp boost too hard and create a rod-twisting spike, then good for them! REVO fans rejoice!

The rest of us can buy a EQT turbo and tunes and get the same thing. :giggle:

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Correct, this is just like the hybrids that are out there, just another option if you want to stay in the revo family.

Beamer2Clean

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
It’s also almost $4k if you guys haven’t seen. I’m not sure it’s $4k worth of performance. But if your a revo fan go for it! Let us know how it is

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You can achieve the same power level with other hybrids that cost a lot less.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
So someone makes an electric motor assisted turbo? I could get behind a stock IS38 with one.
Yes, as Aussie R noted Mercedes-AMG is seriously looking into putting it in some of their models (https://www.garrettmotion.com/news/...ification-trends-beginning-with-mercedes-amg/), though it's been used in F1 already. It's really a great idea (if it's durable), as not only does it allow for bigger turbos without the lag, it also does so without the need for a richer A/F mixture, thus reducing emissions while increasing milage. Honest! If you want to know more about their e-turbo, here's a link to one of Garrett's PowerPoint slide sets: https://mkto.garrettmotion.com/rs/893-DRQ-470/images/Garrett Motion E-Turbo Whitepaper 2019.pdf?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTVdWbFpHSTROV0prTVdNMyIsInQiOiJDTDNcL2RyeHRsWTRSWmZ1eW14RnZ3NTFrMU5YSEZNamdTOVRcL0NOelR1djAyR05EbWpEUGpPMlBpTktaQkxJditHbWgzMHM3QVZjdDhlNnEzWCt4Uys5MHNwXC92dHRXXC85emJOVkw3djkxQWYyNjl6WnlTZHVmSitzSCtjY2VpaEoifQ== --I hope the link works for you.

Last edited:

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I have ZERO affiliation with this company, but these guys have made the YouTube rounds the past few months: https://torqamp.com

Brushless motor, 48v battery pack. They actually do work to an extent, but obvious limitations should be obvious.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Yes, as Aussie R noted Mercedes-AMG is seriously looking into putting it in some of their models (https://www.garrettmotion.com/news/...ification-trends-beginning-with-mercedes-amg/), though it's been used in F1 already. It's really a great idea (if it's durable), as not only does it allow for bigger turbos without the lag, it also does so without the need for a richer A/F mixture, thus reducing emissions while increasing milage. Honest! If you want to know more about their e-turbo, here's a link to one of Garrett's PowerPoint slide sets: https://mkto.garrettmotion.com/rs/893-DRQ-470/images/Garrett Motion E-Turbo Whitepaper 2019.pdf?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTVdWbFpHSTROV0prTVdNMyIsInQiOiJDTDNcL2RyeHRsWTRSWmZ1eW14RnZ3NTFrMU5YSEZNamdTOVRcL0NOelR1djAyR05EbWpEUGpPMlBpTktaQkxJditHbWgzMHM3QVZjdDhlNnEzWCt4Uys5MHNwXC92dHRXXC85emJOVkw3djkxQWYyNjl6WnlTZHVmSitzSCtjY2VpaEoifQ== --I hope the link works for you.

Wow, 3.5 car lengths on a heavy Audi? That's 3.5 tenths. Even with the increased HP and torque that's impressive. I could be wrong but I don't think it will fit in the space the stock one fits in, and there's the 48-volt battery and controller. Someday...if someone doesn't perfect the electric car battery first.