GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Tyre

allmac

Passed Driver's Ed
Hit a pot hole on Friday & ruined 3k miles Pirelli & TPMS didn’t work :mad:

Changed the wheel in the dark in monsoon conditions :mad:

Looked everywhere in tool kit for a screw driver with splined end to fit the splined holes in the plastic blanking caps……...then realised that there was a piece of bent wire in kit and you just had to hook this into the hole and pull :rolleyes:

Drove 2 miles then TPMS told me I had a problem :confused:

Anyway new tyre now fitted at £110 :mad:

Checked the tyre pressures and reset the TPMS……I was sure it as set-up ok before but hopefully I wont be testing it for some time to come :)

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Hardly ideal conditions for wheel changing.

enkil

Ready to race!
Sorry to hear that. Are you on 16inch wheels? Can still get tire damage. That must me a big ass pot hole.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
To give you an idea of how bad some UK pot-holes can get, we had one last winter in town[/i] which was big enough to have laid a large truck wheel/tyre in lying flat - I BS you not, the Council ended up in court for damages from several drivers who had experienced fairly serious damage from it.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Much of it is caused in winter by a combination of the salt being used to de-ice the roads, and exfoliation (freeze/thaw weathering). Poor road maintenance doesn't help things either.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to hear that - did you consider calling VW Assist to change the wheel for you?

allmac

Passed Driver's Ed
Probably the low profile 17" tyres didn't help but it was a cut in the inner side wall so must have caught the edge of a deep hole. Happened at the next bridge downstream of the village of Yalding (yes the one that was in the news last week which was affected by the flooding!). I didn't think of calling VW Assist but assume that I would have been in for a long wait and didn't have time. I should have familiarised myself with the tool kit beforehand so it would have been such a challenge in the dark......putting the tool kit back together again was also a bit of a krypton factor exercise. I thought about claiming for the damage from council but it would probably have been more trouble than it was worth. I've got a car camera but it didn't really capture much detail as it does work that well in the dark with just car lights....perhaps I need to invest in a better one. I checked the rear tyre as well to make sure that it wasn't damaged as well and took the opportunity of smearing hubs and wheel bolts with copperslip as they are already starting to show signs of light corrosion....why don't manufacturers ever protect these?