GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New to the GTI fam!

JamesH4

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 GTI
Hello all,
I just recently purchased a 2015 GTI SE (DSG) as a daily "commuter" vehicle. I don't do well with keeping a vehicle stock and I plan on making more horse power through various modifications. I figured I would join this forum to get the information from the experts. Now I would like to make some good "safe" power and great engine noises! Also, I would like to know if anyone has any solutions to make my car more technologically advanced! I have an android phone and would love to convert my car (which has the MIB1 headunit) to something that has android auto. If anyone has successfully done this already I would love to know what I need to do or purchase. ANY suggestions anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. Also, any pictures of good looking wheels would be great... Looking for ideas. I might run an airbag set-up in the future.

James

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I actually just sold a 2015 SE DSG because of the lack of tech goodies. Got a 2019 Autobahn with the big glass display and driver assistance package. As far as power and noises goes, this forum has all of those answers throughout multiple threads. Do some searching! A quick answer would be a stage 1 tune, catback, and intake. That way you get some power, wooshy noises, and exhaust sounds.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
EQT's got a sale going on right now, HIGHLY recommend jumping on it. Grab the DSG tune as well, I've heard nothing but good things. Also, an upgrade to your intercooler is almost entirely necessary to keep IATs down in the warmer months. As for wheels, TireRack made purchasing SUPER easy, though there's also been a ton of positive feedback on the Apex wheels as well as Neuspeed's offerings. Welcome to the forum.

JamesH4

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 GTI
EQT's got a sale going on right now, HIGHLY recommend jumping on it. Grab the DSG tune as well, I've heard nothing but good things. Also, an upgrade to your intercooler is almost entirely necessary to keep IATs down in the warmer months. As for wheels, TireRack made purchasing SUPER easy, though there's also been a ton of positive feedback on the Apex wheels as well as Neuspeed's offerings. Welcome to the forum.
Thank you for the info!

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Welcome to the club....you're now playing the game. Regarding air, a few of us run it.....hit up AJ (El_bigote_AJ) or myself

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Welcome! Enjoy the car! Don't attempt to race anyone until you have a stg1 tune at minimum.

Now on to the derailing your thread as side tracking occurs often here, lol.

How come all the rest are like over 1k while this one is under 500?
https://eurozonetuning.com/products/vw-mk7-golf-gti-golfr-e-golf-8-glass-display-only-nav-non-nav

Is that as simple as plug and play? Got me curious now! Ugggh.
The link you posted there is just for the screen/display itself. The actual "brains" of the infotainment system (head unit) is in the glovebox. On 2015 cars (like OP has), you can't just upgrade the screen as the newer/larger ones require MIB2 at a minimum. MIB2 brings a lot of improvements - the main thing being CarPlay and Android Auto support, as well as a much faster and responsive system.

I see you have a 2017 so you would be able to upgrade just the screen, but it wouldn't bring any functionality changes - just aesthetics.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
The link you posted there is just for the screen/display itself. The actual "brains" of the infotainment system (head unit) is in the glovebox. On 2015 cars (like OP has), you can't just upgrade the screen as the newer/larger ones require MIB2 at a minimum. MIB2 brings a lot of improvements - the main thing being CarPlay and Android Auto support, as well as a much faster and responsive system.

I see you have a 2017 so you would be able to upgrade just the screen, but it wouldn't bring any functionality changes - just aesthetics.

Would it be more responsive though? I'm not sure I'm looking for much more functionality changes other than being more responsive and obviously it looks a lot nicer being glass and all...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Would it be more responsive though? I'm not sure I'm looking for much more functionality changes other than being more responsive and obviously it looks a lot nicer being glass and all...
I don't see how it could be since the brains are in the glove box.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I don't see how it could be since the brains are in the glove box.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. I just thought, perhaps the area that effects the movement of the screens and refresh rates on that would be improved. Not strictly related to a CPU or anything but just the build of the glass screen and the display within the panel.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Yeah I guess that makes sense. I just thought, perhaps the area that effects the movement of the screens and refresh rates on that would be improved. Not strictly related to a CPU or anything but just the build of the glass screen and the display within the panel.
I mean, the glass may feel smoother or more slick to the touch for you, but the actual UI and menus would be exactly the same. Having used both types of screens, I can't say I've noticed any differences. In fact, I prefer the pre-facelift screens because they're matte and pick up fewer smudges etc. The inset screen also given you a small ledge to stabilize your hand while using the touch screen.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Welcome to the forums! You’ll get plenty of bad influence around here haha.

Long winded, because it’s detailed as to why I chose each item on the list. It’s in podcast form so you can just listen to it and not miss anything.

JamesH4

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 GTI
Welcome! Enjoy the car! Don't attempt to race anyone until you have a stg1 tune at minimum.

Now on to the derailing your thread as side tracking occurs often here, lol.

How come all the rest are like over 1k while this one is under 500?
https://eurozonetuning.com/products/vw-mk7-golf-gti-golfr-e-golf-8-glass-display-only-nav-non-nav

Is that as simple as plug and play? Got me curious now! Ugggh.
I have a 2015 so I believe I would need to upgrade the "brain" to the mib2. Mine has the mib1. I think that may be the additional cost. But I am new to all this so I'm not 100% sure.