GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New to modding. Clutch and tune questions!!!!!

Flannelseason

Car(s)
GTI mk7
Ive been running Unitronic stage 1+ With all OEM parts and am getting clutch slip around 8k miles in, which sounds to be normal with an OEM clutch. The question is which clutch should I look into that will support 347ft-lb of torque but also be forgiving and great for a daily driver. Would really love the feedback before I go throwing money in the wind. SIDE NOTE. what set ups are yall running for downpipe/ catback to get the best sounding GTI. also what other parts have yall installed to get a better sound if anything.

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
If you don't expect to push it much more than what you have now, I would suggest looking into the TTRS pressure plate with OEM 240mm clutch disc and keeping the OEM Dual Mass Flywheel. Checkout DAP for kits.
Clutch setups for Mk7's seem to be a very open topic of discussion and very dependant on power/torque and driveability/longevity concerns. It's almost like the "what oil is best" conversations. Organic clutch material is best for driveability and longevity, but isn't the most durable for high torque applications. Kevlar seems to be the next step up but takes a while to break in and is not forgiving of abuse, and doesn't last as long as organic. Pucked clutches, single mass flywheels are typically the best for high HP/torque cars, but driveability is questionable and they are noisy (chatter).

Downpipe is really a matter of budget and if you're looking for a catted DP or not. Almost all are stainless steel, some have cast outlets, GESI catalytic converters appear to be the best wher emissions are a concern, 42dd oxygen sensor chingaderos are highly recommended to avoid CEL's. As for exhaust sound, I would recommend searching for GTI Jake on here, he's done a lot of work on making exhausts sound good for this platform (primarily midpipe work). The rest of the exhaust really just depends on looks and volume. GTI Clubsport muffler is a good way to get an incremental sound bump without sounding like a fart can. The rest are just which one fits a budget and sounds/looks good to you. AWE touring is another good daily capable cat back.

TLDR;

TTRS is a good option for clutch setup
GTI Jake 17950 Vibrant resonator for the exhaust with DP.

Last edited:

brownstig

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE MT
Ive been running Unitronic stage 1+ With all OEM parts and am getting clutch slip around 8k miles in, which sounds to be normal with an OEM clutch. The question is which clutch should I look into that will support 347ft-lb of torque but also be forgiving and great for a daily driver. Would really love the feedback before I go throwing money in the wind. SIDE NOTE. what set ups are yall running for downpipe/ catback to get the best sounding GTI. also what other parts have yall installed to get a better sound if anything.

I am running a Unitronic Stage 1+ tune and started experiencing clutch slip at around 7k of tuned miles. Purchased a South Bend Stage 2 Daily clutch and will be installing in the next few weeks. Will give feedback after breaking it in!

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
A lot of people (including me) run the HST RSR. I put it in for Uni Stage 2 and have since gone on to EQT Stage 2 E30, which is significantly more punchy feeling, and it's still G2G. If I had to do it over again I might get the RSR Hybrid.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Depends on if you care to keep your OEM dual mass flywheel and what mods you plan to do in the future.

https://hstuning.com/product/hs-tuning-gti-golf-r-mk7-rsr-hybrid-clutch-kit-hst-rsr-004/

As for your other questions I’d be happy to make recommendations via email as I’m not a site sponsor here. There’s tons of options ranging from mild to wild, but the most popular is definitely GESI catted downpipe and OEM Fitment Resonated Midpipe.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I recently decided to go with the ACT clutch. Rated for up to 500lbft so plenty of room for more power. They're new to our cars but the Honda/Evo's/etc guys seem to love them.

UPS just dropped it off last night so I can't confirm yet but from what I've read the organic disc it uses is supposed to be quieter with a more 'forgiving' grab. Although probably not the best option if you plan on doing lots of laps at the track

brownstig

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE MT
I am running a Unitronic Stage 1+ tune and started experiencing clutch slip at around 7k of tuned miles. Purchased a South Bend Stage 2 Daily clutch and will be installing in the next few weeks. Will give feedback after breaking it in!
Update on the SB Stage 2 Daily Clutch: About 1500 miles since the install and it feels amazing! Engagement point was low at first but got higher over time. Noise is noticeable but it does not bother me at all. Holds power well and I'm super happy with the purchase so far. Good luck!

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
My stock clutch is going with my APR Low Torque tune. I will be going south bend stage 3