GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New (to me) 2017 GTI maintenance / APR questions

dewhorse

Car(s)
2017 GTI sport
Picked up a 2017 Sport (6sp) a bit over 2 months ago and have put ~12k on it already. I was looking for something that got better MPG than the 2017 FTX I was driving and had a bit of soul as well. The GTI fit those requirements almost perfectly.

One reason I grabbed this particular one, I was looking at a man M235i as well, was it already had a stage 2 APR tun with the downpipe and an aftermarket clutch.

So far besides an oil change, will be getting another today, tires (Pilot sport 3A/S) and adding a Boomba knob and short shift kit I have not done anything else. When I had it at the dealer for the oil change they suggested a transmission service and the brakes were around 4mm.

The car as of this morning has 42K on it and I was wondering what I need to plan on maintenance wise in the next 10K.

Also does the APR need updates? Can I just take it to any APR dealer (my local VW dealer is one) to get them done?

Also I am thinking about getting the APR mobile dongle, is it worth it?

I had not driven a GTI since I was 18 and it was a MK2 16V :cool: so I did not know what to expect, my god the tune makes it just a bit too much fun. I tried my buddies GLI (not a pure apple to apples)while he jumped in my GTI and I could not believe the difference. His comment was "from 2500rpm it's so powerful compared to my GLI, it actually pushes you back in your seat" :giggle:

Love this car, just wish they sold the estate version here in the states

Thanks in advance

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Brake & clutch fluid change, manual transmission service (Motul Gear 300). Brakes at 4mm, does this mean pad thickness? If so, change the pads now!
Since you have a tune go for a better pad or look at upgrading brakes in some way, BBK, or better rotors, or Macan or TTS front calipers.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Also keep an eye on the spark plugs they will tell you how the engine is doing.
If you don’t have them already, upgrade to colder plugs.
wouldn't hurt to upgrade the intercooler either.