GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RSB and endlinks. Can't get rid of noise :/

maulcorps

Hi everyone,

I recently installed the 034 RSB and Dynamic+ endlinks and cannot get rid of a certain noise. It is predominantly coming from one side, at the rear, when going over medium/large bumps. If both wheels hit the bump, no noise. I've tried retorquing everything (per torque spec) and it keeps occurring. There are not any clearance issues, no parts are coming in to contact with others. Everything was installed on ramps too so loading doesn't seem to be the culprit either.

I'm out of ideas on this one. Is this fairly "common" when using adjustable endlinks? I installed a beefier sway on my previous vehicle, without upgraded endlinks, and didn't encounter this. Any advice would be appreciated!

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Clunking? Creaking? Knocking? Spherical bearings (especially cheaper ones) can lead to a "rattling" sound if they're metal on metal due to clearances. They're definitely a performance advantage but not the best for NVH.

maulcorps

Clunking? Creaking? Knocking? Spherical bearings (especially cheaper ones) can lead to a "rattling" sound if they're metal on metal due to clearances. They're definitely a performance advantage but not the best for NVH.

Definitely more of a clunk or knock. It reminds me of when a sway bar bushing fails but without repeated rattle, it's just one sound event per bump. I'm starting to wonder if the increased stiffness is actually stressing other components such as the springs, strut, or even control arm... the sound is definitely more obvious on the passenger side though.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Having gone thru the "clunking" issue shortly after installing my 034 RSB & adjustable ECS endlinks, the first thing I would check is that the link-to-bar fasteners are properly tightened while the rear wheels are loaded- like resting on a ramp. I ultimately determined that the link nut would not stay tight and that a second jamb nut is needed. I side-stepped the issue for now by replacing the ECS links with MUCH cheaper Moog endlinks and properly tightened them. No issues since.
Note that tightening these fasteners with the bar installed is a PITA- they cannot be accessed with a torque wrench when the bar is installed. It will take a pair of properly-fitting open-end wrenches or possibly an open end and a closed-end wrench to tighten.