GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Pilot Sport A/S 3+ If Still on Stock Buy Them!!!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
They were quiet when new. I started noticing them getting loud about 25000 miles in. It didn't bother me, because their performance is good enough to overcome their noise, at least to me. Rock solid in the wet, great in the dry, the only way I don't buy another set is if they are replaced by a newer version.

I'll be happy if I can get to 25,000 miles. None of the other tires I've had lasted that long.

drummingcraig

Passed Driver's Ed
Considering getting these puppies but I'm a bit worried about the road noise. I'm willing to give up some grip in favor of quieter tires, so I'll probably go with the Continental DWS06 or the new Goodyear Exhilarate, anyone with either of them care to provide some feedback?

TireRack's test of the Exhilarate: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=241
Bumping this to see if anyone can chime in on the Exhilarates? I am between the A/S 3’s which I can get for roughly $760 installed, or the Exhilarates which are about $40 less. My only concern with the Michelins is the noise which seems to be a factor for some.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
My other car came with these A/S 3's and they are not loud at all at about 3/4 thread left.
Honestly though, these tires do not grip all that well as others have phrased.

I think the DWS06 is superior for cold wet weather and light snow..

FST_NML

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI S DSG LP/PP
I forgot about this thread :) I caved in and bought the Exhilarates. First impression: they are not as quiet as I hoped they would be in the first few miles, but after break in the noise went down. There is still some tread growl though, but they are very very quiet on freshly paved roads. I would say they are a bit quieter than the Indy 500s that I had on for 12k miles. Grip is excellent in dry and wet conditions, but I haven't had a chance to really push them hard, at least not as hard as the Indys. It's still cold anyway so I don't want to do anything stupid, I'll wait until the weather warms up and test on a cloverleaf exit that I'm familiar with.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I think the DWS06 is superior for cold wet weather and light snow..

I think this may be true. But otherwise, in dry and wet, I think they are definitely one of the best all seasons out there (for my conditions).
But living in Florida, that is not something I really have to worry about hah.
I have put maybe 15k miles on the AS3+ and they are still holding up. I don't see why I would not be able to get at least another 15k out of them....

car2fast4you

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI 6MT
I put the PS A/S3+ run-flats on my Corvette C6 last spring for my cold weather setup. They had a constant humm on the road, and a harsh ride. On concrete roads they were a bit annoying. I took them back and replaced them with the DWS06. While the A/S3+ are quicker to respond to steering input, I prefer the DSW06 in every other aspect. However... Keep in mind that I'm comparing a run-flats to non-runflats. I suspect that the standard A/S3+ probably ride a little less harsh.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I went AS3+ on my GTI. About to take advantage of eBay’s 24 month 0% financing to get DWS06 for my Alltrack. Very excited to upgrade from the shitty stockers.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I put the PS A/S3+ run-flats on my Corvette C6 last spring for my cold weather setup. They had a constant humm on the road, and a harsh ride. On concrete roads they were a bit annoying. I took them back and replaced them with the DWS06. While the A/S3+ are quicker to respond to steering input, I prefer the DSW06 in every other aspect. However... Keep in mind that I'm comparing a run-flats to non-runflats. I suspect that the standard A/S3+ probably ride a little less harsh.

Yeah c’mon man run-flats are garbage everyone knows that.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie

As you say it’s hard to compare RFT’s to go flats. Here’s my anecdotal experience. I had a 2014 BMW 328i with the sports suspension. After the stock RFT’s wore out I switched to DWS06 go flats. They handled well and rode well. Unfortunately the soft sidewalls made the already poor steering feel worse.

I went with A/S3+ tires on my GTI when the Hankook’s wore out. They are great tires for handling. Best I’ve owned. Yes the ride is a bit harsher than the OEM all seasons but it’s a reasonable trade off. Also, they are not good in light snow. The DWS’s are better for snow.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
As you say it’s hard to compare RFT’s to go flats. Here’s my anecdotal experience. I had a 2014 BMW 328i with the sports suspension. After the stock RFT’s wore out I switched to DWS06 go flats. They handled well and rode well. Unfortunately the soft sidewalls made the already poor steering feel worse.

I went with A/S3+ tires on my GTI when the Hankook’s wore out. They are great tires for handling. Best I’ve owned. Yes the ride is a bit harsher than the OEM all seasons but it’s a reasonable trade off. Also, they are not good in light snow. The DWS’s are better for snow.
From experience, the A/S3+ are a good bit better in the snow than the original, non plus. For my purposes of only needing them a few times a year to ski and see my mom, they're fine. They work in a way that PS4's just don't in the cold and snow, and they don't give up much.
As for BMW RFT, I've never kept them long enough to hate them, but you do have to find a non RFT with stiffer sidewalls than most Michelins. Our LCI F30 was bad on RFT and just a little less bad with PS4s.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

The DWS06 get pretty darn good reviews for handling on most sites. It's too bad you didn't have them on the same car as the AS3+ for a direct comparison.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
The DWS06 get pretty darn good reviews for handling on most sites. It's too bad you didn't have them on the same car as the AS3+ for a direct comparison.
I can say that my thoughts are in line with most online reviews. The grip and steering feel of the Michelins are better and the snow ability of the Conti's are better. Not that the DWS06's didn't handle well. Lets just say I have no regrets.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I can say that my thoughts are in line with most online reviews. The grip and steering feel of the Michelins are better and the snow ability of the Conti's are better. Not that the DWS06's didn't handle well. Lets just say I have no regrets.

My problem with the AS3+ is the ride quality. Sometimes it feels almost like I am driving with no tire at all. Unfortunately the other day I just found out due to budge cuts in my town related to the virus situation they aren't going to be patching up the roads here this summer and they are in terrible condition already.

LarryLaptimes

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
Just put a set of A/S 3+‘s on last week. Really transformed the car in comparison to the stock Hankooks. Really pleased thus far.