GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Owner Questions

jswihart

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI 6MT
Hello all,
I am new to the VW club, I have been a big BMW (e30) guy for a long time but I found the MK7 GTI to be the perfect combination for what I wanted. I found this one on a Thursday and got it on the Saturday, WAY too good of a deal to pass up. It is a 2017 6 speed Autobahn with LP and PP. I love it so far. Just some questions though.
1. My driver fog light (LED) is out and there is no light on the dash. Do I really have to replace the whole assembly? Also, since there is no light on the dash, could it be a connection problem instead of bad bulbs?
2. It is a DBP so I am wonder what black wax everyone is using. This was a previous highway car and has some rash from it.
3. I want to keep the car mostly stock looking, so aside from suspension and wheels what upgrades would be subtle but worth it? I was thinking maybe a diverter valve down the line...
Thanks in advance for the help!

IMG_4563 by Jake Swihart, on Flickr

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
Looks like it has the DAP radar too, for forward collision alert. Sometimes it will annoyingly go off when someone is turning right in front of you, but you will also appreciate it when it saves your ass. As far as the diverter valve, i ordered a DV+ from gofastbits and sold it before I ever installed it. Based on what I read the one that comes on the mk7 should be left alone.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Don't you still have 3/36 warranty? Let a dealer fix whatever is wrong. A fog light costs over $300 discounted so it's probably over $400 list.

I don't know if fogs are included in the "bulb out" indicator.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Congrats and welcome to the forum! Have any e30 pics?

The fog light could just be disconnected, maybe the previous owner had the bumper off? Just a few T25 torx and you can pull the fender liner to check it out or there’s a little access panel that just pops out.

As for subtle mods, a intake would be better than a DV since the stock one is the best money can buy. Neither will do much for performance so don’t let marketing sweet talk draw you into blowing big money. There’s only 10whp to be had even at stage 2 power levels with an intake.

Popular beginner mods are Jb4, downpipe, dog bone mount insert, proper summer tires, ect...it’s a snowball effect from there. Tons of good info here to be had if you search (google: “golfmk7 _______”)

jswihart

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI 6MT
Thanks all for the responses. I may leave the DV for now then. I will be putting new tires on but I'm one of those weird guys who actually likes the stock rims. Here is a link to my e30: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=424669

As for the fog light, my car has 55k on it, even though a year old, the PO's routine was Indiana, to Florida, to North Carolina , and back to Indiana every two weeks or so. So warranty is out of the picture to me.