GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New owner: do I have a MK7 or MK7.5 Golf GTI?

bradleyk

Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
Sorry for a dumb question, but in June of 2020 I bought a new, 2020 Golf GTI SE.
How can I determine if I have a MK7 or MK7.5?
Loving the car — wow!
Thanks for any assistance,
Bradley

ThatMK7GTIguy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit GTI
Its a MK7.5. Welcome to the party.
I'm sure someone will post in with a link to the differences between the two.

bradleyk

Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
Thanks for the responses, though they don't all agree. I have a lot of catching up to do: what is "facelift" reference?

Corey199

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Volkswagen GTI
Thanks for the responses, though they don't all agree. I have a lot of catching up to do: what is "facelift" reference?
The "facelift" references various styling and mechanical upgrades made to every GTI and Golf R from 2018 and on. These include refreshed headlights, taillights, front bumper, slight power increase, etc. Also with the facelift, every trim received the performance package as standard, which included a limited-slip differential and bigger brakes, on top of the power increase.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
The "facelift" references various styling and mechanical upgrades made to every GTI and Golf R from 2018 and on. These include refreshed headlights, taillights, front bumper, slight power increase, etc. Also with the facelift, every trim received the performance package as standard, which included a limited-slip differential and bigger brakes, on top of the power increase.
2018 S didn’t get the PP as standard.

Facelifts also got interior changes with headunits and trim colors

bradleyk

Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
Hmmm ... so if I have a 2020 GTI it sounds like it has a facelift from the 2018 ... and is, therefore, to owners anyway, a MK7.5? Have I followed that properly?

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Easiest way to identify a 7 vs 7.5 is the headlights. Save for the Base model S 7.5s that seem to confuse everyone.
Quick comparison.

Lighting Package MK7 vs SE/AutoBahn MK7.5
1611191747514.png
1611191868768.png

MK7 Non-Lighting package vs MK7.5 Base model (Only decent image I could find of a base model at the same angle.)
1611192242018.png
1611192758601.png