GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Official MK7 Golf/GTI 1/4 Thread

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Took the seats out in hopes for 11s & got it. Pretty happy with this car & it's short list of mods to achieve this.

ET: 11.98
MPH: 111.51
60: 1.78
DA: 1900
MODEL: MK7 GTI
ENGINE: 2.0T
TURBO: is20
TRANS: DSG
FUEL: E50
WT: Seats removed
TIRES: Slicks
SOFTWARE: 5150
USER: Local (B. Alexander)
TRACK: Fontana

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nice run, congrats ?

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
Does anyone have any before and after times with the only change being weight reduction? Really curious to see the difference.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone have any before and after times with the only change being weight reduction? Really curious to see the difference.

I never made a pass with my weight reduction yet, have the EQT to install but will probably wind up doing some is38 passes before season is over. Going to get a 2nd wastegate to make the swap back n forth easy. :D

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Every 100lbs is worth about a tenth.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
IME, the gains are more significant on slower cars. But I don't have any scientific proof to back it up.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Nah, it's more likely the total power:weight impact vs "remove x lbs for y reduction in ET" weaker/slower vehicle or not.

To put it one way, take 100 lbs off of a Lotus Elise is very different than taking 100 lbs off of a Tesla Model X.

Taken to the Nth degree: Think about a transport truck hauling two full tandem trailers weighing what... 110,000 total lbs (?) In that case, you've got a 2800 lb engine producing just 450 or so horsepower and 1500 ft lbs revving out to 2000 RPMs. Fully loaded it'll do 0-60 in about 4 minutes, hauling around 45,000 lbs it'll do 0-60 in 2 minutes, and no trailer at about 20,000 lbs it can do it in 17-20 seconds.

Any improvement from weight reduction in quarter mile performance has got to be a percentage of total weight reduced vs the power available across the rev range (or total area under the curve, or whatever).

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Can I use my dragy 1/4mi times, since we no longer have a 1/4mi track? They closed it down permanently, and the next closest track is over 1.5hrs away. Needless to say I can't get out there as often as I'd like :(

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Many of us have to drive 3+ hours to the nearest track, so I'd say no. There's a Dragy thread here for that info.

TroyI

Ready to race!
Take the drive to a dragstrip. Take a cooler/picnic and the family. It truly is a fun afternoon, and you get to see what your car can really do.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
I will eventually. I stand corrected on distance. The closest actual dragstrip is 4hrs away. The road course they sometimes use as a dragstrip is 1.5hrs away.

Probably going to Tuscon in April/May.

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
Going tomorrow. Was able to pull out 169.6lbs. Running open cutout so debating on if I feel like pulling the catback.