GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New MK8 GTI or preowned MK7.5 Golf R?

Which would you buy?

• Total voters

jafew51711

Car(s)
VW
Would love to read your opinions between buying a VW Certified Pre-owned Golf R (2018-19 so it comes with 6yr/72k warranty+1year additional CPO) vs a new 2022 GTI S base model. I do not plan to keep the car outside of the warranty period. By the time I'm ready to purchase next year I expect a used Golf R to be around the same price as a new GTI S.

If I buy an MK7.5 Golf R I'll likey go with the DSG, and if a new MK8 GTI it will probably a manual transmission. Of course a test drive will decide. This would be my daily driver around Washington DC.

My Pros for each model:
GTI - Plaid seats, Exterior appearance, New car smell, More fun to drive?
Golf R - More analog and less digital, Performance, AWD, Resale value.

So if cost is about the same, which option would you pick?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Would love to read your opinions between buying a VW Certified Pre-owned Golf R (2018-19 so it comes with 6yr/72k warranty+1year additional CPO) vs a new 2022 GTI S base model. I do not plan to keep the car outside of the warranty period. By the time I'm ready to purchase next year I expect a used Golf R to be around the same price as a new GTI S.

If I buy an MK7.5 Golf R I'll likey go with the DSG, and if a new MK8 GTI it will probably a manual transmission. Of course a test drive will decide. This would be my daily driver around Washington DC.

My Pros for each model:
GTI - Plaid seats, Exterior appearance, New car smell, More fun to drive?
Golf R - More analog and less digital, Performance, AWD, Resale value.

So if cost is about the same, which option would you pick?
Same price, and both with warranty?
I'd take the R.
It's more car for the same money, minus the issues of the non physical interior controls.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
price will really matter, I don't think you can guess prices.

Driving in Washington DC I would seriously consider a DSG over MT

nimonery

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
I don't think a CPO 2018/2019 R is going to be as cheap as you think it is...

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I think the R is a no brainer. You'll have a monster warranty, and any additional up-front cost will be offset by less depreciation. And, you wind up with a better car than the GTI.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, a CPO '18 or '19 R is going to be just a little cheaper than getting a 2022, which has a better turbo, better awd and looks better (yep, I said it.) I'd get a 2022 manual R. But I'd drive a manual twenty year old Tercel before a DSG anything, so there's that.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
At least in my area, 17 Rs are still selling for $32-35k if under 40k miles. I bought my R nearly 2 years ago with 6.6k miles for $36.5k, and that was a fair price back then. Now I'm seeing 2018 Rs with 30k miles selling for $37.5k. It's hard to predict anything right now, but I wouldn't expect to find a used R for the same price as a new GTI unless the R has 90-100k miles on it.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I doubt that the 2022 S model and the CPO R will be around the same price. You're not going to find a CPO R with a lot of warranty left on the cheap even after the Mk.8 lands.

If the GTI S is discounted at all it will definitely be the lower price.