GOLFMKV

New MK8 GTI or preowned MK7.5 Golf R?

Which would you buy?

• Total voters

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
You'll all own one. I still think the Mk6 looks better than the Mk7.
I don't have a problem with skipping a generation. I bought my mk4 because it was love at first sight. I skipped the mk5 because I thought it was ugly as hell and didn't look like it belonged in the VW line up. Then I bought my mk6 a couple weeks after seeing one on the road and falling in love with it right away. I thought the mk7 was alright, but I still liked my mk6 more. Then the mk7.5 came out and I fell in love again. It took me a little longer to get one, but I got one. The mk8 gives me mk5 vibes. It looks like it was designed by Hyundai and not by VW and I still don't like it months later.

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
I personally do like the look of the mk8, it's definitely growing on me. I would rather always buy a new car, but definitely not in the first or second model year, regardless of the engine being basically the same as the current one. So between a 2022 and 18-19, I'd go R, or wait a year or three like I am to see what the mid-cycle refresh holds for the GTI.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Can MK6 get updated LED tails? I think the original tails look very low rent. That's the easiest way for me to spot them.
I don't know, but I know how @KevinC would feel about that. I also know that I still yell 'boobs" every time I see a Mk5. Those tails are just awful.

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
Golf R for sure. That AWD will come in handy during winter time where you live.

SAPGTI

Ready to race!
The MK8 is growing on me ..... slowly. Not so much that I would get rid of my 7.5 in order to get one. Really don't like the look of the interior at all and that is a big deal. If my choice was the 8 GTI or a slightly older Golf R, I'd go with the R.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Can MK6 get updated LED tails? I think the original tails look very low rent. That's the easiest way for me to spot them.

Friend of mine bought a mk6 when it was new. The taillights was one of the first things he replaced.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

Yeah MK6’s came with LED tails in Europe, same as the MK7s. So Nk6 owners did the same Euro LED Tails mod that we do with 2015-2017s

jafew51711

Car(s)
VW
OP here, surprised to see the poll showing most everyone voting for the 7.5R over MK8 GTI.

Appearance wise I strongly prefer the MK8 GTI exterior over the MK7.5. The MK8 interior, not so much! :( Best interior to me belongs to the MK6 GTI Wolfsburg Edition. It seems VW cheapened the interior of the MK7, and may have cheapened it even further with the MK8 GTI (based on videos).

But VW may have directed their money on engineering and tuning instead. Plus it will assembled in Germany once again! (y)

In regards to price, I'm predicting 8-12 months from now, an '18-19 CPO Golf R would average $32k, with the new MK8 GTI S going for $30k. But who really knows. 🤷‍♂️

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
OP here, surprised to read how most everyone would take 7.5R over MK8 GTI.

Appearance wise I strongly prefer the MK8 GTI exterior over the MK7.5. The MK8 interior, not so much! :( Best interior to me belongs to the MK6 GTI Wolfsburg Edition. It seems VW cheapened the interior of the MK7, and may have cheapened it even further with the MK8 GTI (based on videos).

But VW may have directed their money on engineering and tuning instead. Plus it will assembled in Germany once again! (y)

In regards to price, I'm predicting 8-12 months from now, an '18-19 CPO Golf R would average $32k, with the new MK8 GTI S going for $30k. But who really knows. 🤷‍♂️

mk8 gti is still fwd with all the limitations that come with it.

the ‘19 7.5 r at 32k in 12 months is going to depreciate a hell of a lot slower than a ‘22 gti s purchased at sticker. (assuming supply chains and everything else get back to normal)

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
As a long time VW owner, I am disappointed the mk7 R’s don’t depreciate. In 2009, I bought a pristine 04 R with 54K for 18,400$ with suspension and exhaust. I had to sell it because my insurance went up 300% grrr. It makes little sense to buy used car for only 3-4 g’s off.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
A clean MK 7.5 R would be the best choice. I do not like the all digital interface and touch capacitive steering wheel buttons.

Slim_Fast

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
Golf R for sure, AWD and proven platform + people's warranty = win
Early MK8 models will likely have some issues that will be worked out in later models.