GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New MK7.5 owner with a fuel specific question.

vtr1000sp2

Hey guys/gals,

What’s the consensus on 91 from the various brands in the GTA? I have the following nearby:
Costco
Shell
Esso
Husky
Petro
Pioneer

Coletrain87

I personally hit up Petro or the safeway by my place. Shell would be my next choice. I always understood husky had ethanol in all their fuels. But I could be wrong.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
If you can, gas up in the US.

HPA and George [of BMS] have both said US Shell 92 logs better than Canadian Chevron 94 on tuned cars.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
If you can, gas up in the US.

HPA and George [of BMS] have both said US Shell 92 logs better than Canadian Chevron 94 on tuned cars.
OP is asking about GTA though.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
OP is asking about GTA though.

If OP can. GTA is close enough to the border and, if he/she had the option, I’d suggest to take advantage of that benefit.

They have better gas than us.

That said, John@Unitronic recommends Petro 94 which we don’t get here (Vancouver).

nype

Drag Racing Champion
If OP can. GTA is close enough to the border and, if he/she had the option, I’d suggest to take advantage of that benefit.

They have better gas than us.

That said, John@Unitronic recommends Petro 94 which we don’t get here (Vancouver).
I see. Was under the impression that gas in Ontario was better quality.

My Uni Stage 1 tune definitely runs better on Shell 92 from Washington vs anything else in Vancouver.

vtr1000sp2

Thank you for the comments. So far I've tried Costco 91 in the GTA and currently have Sunoco 93 from the US (was in the US yesterday). Not sure if I'll notice any marginal differences so if you have any means of validation using OBDeleven, please let me know. I'll go by seat of the pants feel for now.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
At least Costco is top tier!

I’ve always been a Shell user since my 2001 Bullitt Mustang, but would swap with Chevron sometimes when I’d gas up at home.

When I got my Nexus 10 years ago, I’ve been using Shell 92 (Blaine, WA) exclusively for my old Malone tuned Mk5 Rabbit and Eurodyne tuned Mk7 GTI, and now current JB1 Mk7 R.

You prolly won’t notice anything with the butt dyno, but not sure if OBD11 can log it.

Are tuned or plan to?

Last edited:

vtr1000sp2

Not tuned and I haven't decided if I am going to tune it, still need to research the benefits in more depth for a complete understanding of what options there are their respective gains.

TheInstallGuy

Passed Driver's Ed
I use Husky 94 on a pro-tune. Fuel is very good. I've run numerous data logs on it and don't have any issues. And yes it contains UP to 10% Ethenol