GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New MK 7.5 2021 GTI Owner (Cornflower Blue)

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
interesting. Sounds like your engine had a faulty PCV that never threw a CEL for the problem. Because normally-functioning EA888 Gen 3’s simply do not have carbon buildup issues like this. There are so many more people who’s experience has more closely aligned with mine than yours. Whereas, if we were talking about the MK6’s Gen2 TSI, your experience would be normal.
My car was throwing a CEL. Carbon build up on the EA888 is a known problem. It's not specific to the EA888 but all direct injection engines. If you do a quick search, you will find that many MK7s are running into this issue.

cb1111

Shopping around for front clear bra and ceramic coat for the rest of the car - does $3k sound reasonable? Never got it done before so not sure what a reasonable price is. Clear bra they’ll be using is the STEK Dyno shield and Ceramic Pro for the coating. They’re an authorized installer and have great reviews.
Say WHAT?????? I get a good deal at my installer (I've done 8 cars there) but the regular price is about $1500 for half hood, bumper, headlights, door cups, door edges, mirrors, wheel arches, back bumper, tail lights and a full ceramic (X-Pel Fusion Plus) including glass surfaces.

juskimdh

Car(s)
2021 Volkswagen GTI
Say WHAT?????? I get a good deal at my installer (I've done 8 cars there) but the regular price is about $1500 for half hood, bumper, headlights, door cups, door edges, mirrors, wheel arches, back bumper, tail lights and a full ceramic (X-Pel Fusion Plus) including glass surfaces.
Good to know - looking elsewhere and shopping around to see which reputable shop will give me a reasonable price!

cb1111

Texas should have a reputable shop on every corner. I did tons or research years ago and decided that it pays to stick with name brands - if nothing else for the warranty if the installer goes out of business - which they often do.

Look for a spotless shop with high end cars. When I started with my guy, he was doing it out of his garage, then moved to a new house with two double garages and now a pretty good sized shop. When I first drove by his first house, he had a Lambo sitting there that he was doing.

You can see what I got done yesterday in this thread.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
In your unsolicited and useless opinion.
This is why I have a problem with you. This was uncalled for. You stated your opinion and Gray Hare 1 stated theirs. "Unsolicited". WTF? This is a public forum which is based on replying to others' posts. You may not like it but EVERY response is solicited. If that goes against your pristine, never to be jiggled chakras, well that's your issue and no reason to treat other forum members like this.

As for useless, changing fluids early for a typically driven car is a CHOICE not a requirement. You are OK with early fluid changes that are likely not necessary which, over many years and miles, adds up to a lot of extra money that could be better spent elsewhere. Gray Hare1's opinion is not useless because the manufacturer posts their recommended service intervals in the owners manuals and those apparently are longer than you're willing to accept. So do you consider the manufacturer's official service intervals to be useless? That's, uh, your opinion. If you don't like it, make sure you don't ever say RTFM again.

Keep in mind many if not most/all manufacturers provide "normal" intervals and "harsh environment" intervals for those in hot or dusty environments or for those who abuse their cars so they even do post earlier intervals IF you meet those requirements. But for normal drivers, the manufacturer's recommended intervals are perfectly fine and going early just because you want to is probably going to cost you more than you gain and that is indeed pretty much the definition of a waste of money.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
This is why I have a problem with you. This was uncalled for. You stated your opinion and Gray Hare 1 stated theirs. "Unsolicited". WTF? This is a public forum which is based on replying to others' posts. You may not like it but EVERY response is solicited. If that goes against your pristine, never to be jiggled chakras, well that's your issue and no reason to treat other forum members like this.

As for useless, changing fluids early for a typically driven car is a CHOICE not a requirement. You are OK with early fluid changes that are likely not necessary which, over many years and miles, adds up to a lot of extra money that could be better spent elsewhere. Gray Hare1's opinion is not useless because the manufacturer posts their recommended service intervals in the owners manuals and those apparently are longer than you're willing to accept. So do you consider the manufacturer's official service intervals to be useless? That's, uh, your opinion. If you don't like it, make sure you don't ever say RTFM again.

Keep in mind many if not most/all manufacturers provide "normal" intervals and "harsh environment" intervals for those in hot or dusty environments or for those who abuse their cars so they even do post earlier intervals IF you meet those requirements. But for normal drivers, the manufacturer's recommended intervals are perfectly fine and going early just because you want to is probably going to cost you more than you gain and that is indeed pretty much the definition of a waste of money.
That wasn't the first time he said the same thing. It's my choice to do my maintenance the way I see fit. When you hop up a GTI to 416 HP and 428 torque and drive it for 116,000 miles and the compression is still 170 across all cylinders and if you only changed the oil every 10,000 miles come back and we'll talk. Until then I'll do maintenance my way on my car.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
It’s your tone and it’s not the first time.

vw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI 6-speed
That's a beauty. Bold choice! I'm trying to decide between a red one and this one. Do you still love the color as much as the day you bought it?

juskimdh

Car(s)
2021 Volkswagen GTI
That's a beauty. Bold choice! I'm trying to decide between a red one and this one. Do you still love the color as much as the day you bought it?
Yup (maybe even more... haha) If you haven’t seen it in person, try to go check it out! The pictures don’t do it justice!

vw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI 6-speed
Yup (maybe even more... haha) If you haven’t seen it in person, try to go check it out! The pictures don’t do it justice!
I have! I want a 6-speed autobahn but they’re tough to find and I’m being told they charge a premium for this color because it’s “rare.” Wish me luck!

juskimdh

Car(s)
2021 Volkswagen GTI
I have! I want a 6-speed autobahn but they’re tough to find and I’m being told they charge a premium for this color because it’s “rare.” Wish me luck!

Fortunately, my dealer didn’t charge me a premium - I actually got a pretty good discount off of MSRP, considering the “rarity” of the car here in Dallas.

Given you’re looking for an Autobahn in 6-speed in the CFB, not surprised they would charge a premium, since those are even more rare. But hope you’re able to still find one and make a reasonable deal - best of luck - keep us posted!

vw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI 6-speed
Fortunately, my dealer didn’t charge me a premium - I actually got a pretty good discount off of MSRP, considering the “rarity” of the car here in Dallas.

Given you’re looking for an Autobahn in 6-speed in the CFB, not surprised they would charge a premium, since those are even more rare. But hope you’re able to still find one and make a reasonable deal - best of luck - keep us posted!
Just curious....did you buy or lease? I’ve always leased, but many people are saying the GTI is a terrible car to lease because there are rarely incentives and the residual is low.

juskimdh

Car(s)
2021 Volkswagen GTI
Just curious....did you buy or lease? I’ve always leased, but many people are saying the GTI is a terrible car to lease because there are rarely incentives and the residual is low.

I ended up buying/financing, since I plan to keep the car for a long time (I hope...) and I was able to get 0.9% promotional financing with VW, even with the discount on price. IMO, it’s a perfect car for me, as I’m a dad now - it’s classy, well-built, but also fun to drive and tune-ability is endless. And I wanted the last year of the Mk 7(.5) platform - not really into the interior of the Mk 8 - no buttons; all touchscreen.

I also considered a Civic Type R, but way too overpriced with the markups and not a fan of the exterior. Also considered a Veloster N - a bit too small for me, though it was really fun to drive. And... though I really wanted the Miata, it was out of question... I could’ve also waited for the Toyota Corolla GR that’s coming out in the next few year(s) or the next gen CTR (looks a little more mature), but couldn’t wait. 😂