GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Hi folks. I just picked up a used 2015 GTI SE yesterday. It needs some TLC. I was serviced at the proper times, but clearly not well maintained by the previous owner. Engine, frame, etc are in great shape and it is relatively low miles, but has some cosmetic issues.

1. It stinks. I knew this going in and I think in time I can resolve it. It has kind of a manure smell and it is much worse when the A/C is on. Has anyone removed and cleaned the evap pan? I have already pulled the cabin filter and there is a new one on the way. I pulled the back seat cushion out to give it some air. I may pull the rear seat backs out as well and just let everything air out for a while. I know the previous owner had a dog as I am finding a decent amount of dog hair. Perhaps that is part of the smell. BUT, I would really like to get into the A/C system a bit and inspect and clean. Let me know if anyone has done it. I don't just want to spray something in there. I would really like to SEE and clean whatever I can as a first pass.

2. The leather is filthy. In 7 years I am pretty sure they never cleaned it. I already did two rounds of cleaning and I am still getting more off. The leather is in good shape. It is just really dirty. What leather cleaner and conditioner are folks liking on the SE leather?

3. Carpets. The carpets LOOK good, but I want to give them a good cleaning as well. What is a reasonably neutral-smelling carpet cleaning solution? I have a small carpet cleaner that is perfect for these types of jobs.

I plan to put a Stage 1 tune on this thing in time, but I want the dealer to thoroughly inspect the powertrain components first. Any thoughts on which tune is the best fit for the MK7 (MANUAL TRANS)? I have a 034 tune on my Audi SQ5 (automatic, obviously) and I am quite pleased with that, but I am not sure if 034 is the best fit for the MK7 or something else. Let me know what folks are doing.

Thanks, and HELLO!

Mark

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Carpets: A proper extractor would be recommended. The Bissell Green Machine is relatively cheap and works well. Use a chemical cleaner product designed for car upholstery. I like Meguiar's Citrus Power Cleaner. Vaccuum them, spray them down, brush thoroughly by hand with a stiff brush or with a drill brush, then extract.

Seats: A proper leather cleaner may help because it's designed to dissolve body oils and remove dye transfer. Lexol is a good one (just get the cleaner), and I also really like Griot's Odor Neutralizing Leather Cleaner. Unless the seats are badly worn, you likely do not need a conditioner because modern leather is coated. Most conditioners just sit on top of the coating and make it greasy and more likely to attract dirt -- and dirt is what causes leather to wear. If you absolutely need it, this stuff from Adam's is great because it conditions and protects from UV, but doesn't leave a bit of shine or grease.

Interior smell: Ozone or Chlorine Dioxide. You can either get an ozone generator on Amazon, or Adam's sells an Odor Bomb that generates Chlorine Dioxide. This is the only thing that will truly kill smells. BUT -- you must address the source of the smell first. I paid a VW dealership to do an AC clean, which includes cleaning the coils. You could have a drain clog too, so search this site for that. It's not too hard to check for.

Here's the order I would go: (1) Fix the smell source. (2) Extract the carpets. (3) Wipe down all surfaces, including headliner (gently) with a dedicated interior cleaner. (4) Clean the leather. (5) New cabin filter. (6) Odor treatment.

Also, be sure to check under carpets and the spare tire area for any moisture and spills.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
When my AC starts to stink I just blast it with half a can of Lysol...
Turn A/C on max, re-circ off, pop open hood, spray Lysol into the vent intakes (under both windshield corners), turn re-circ on, and let it run for 10minutes. Windows up of course. Change out the cabin filter too.

Sounds like your smell is much worse, the odor bomb may be needed but if you have Lysol already then it's worth a shot

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Thanks for the ideas. Good call on all of this. I found a past spill under the back seat. The seat itself was spared, but the frame had some goop built up which I believe is the source of the smell. I don't want to know what it was, given that there was a ton of dog hair back there too.

I did an ozone treatment for an hour last night. I am going to also clean the carpets with a my Bissell this weekend. I think that will get it 90% of the way there. Then treat what remains including the leather.

Regarding the A/C drain, can anyone provide information on where to find it? I also want to check the sunroof drain(s).

Thanks again folks!