GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New law suit over VW water pumps

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Makes sense

My wife's 2020 gli has had the very slow overflow leak since day 1. While my GTI has an even slower leak. Also since day 1. I can't find where the fluid is leaking from at all.
Have you checked near the thermostat housing?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Have you checked near the thermostat housing?
Yes. Problem is, the liquid in the overflow leaks very slow. It gets topped off with each oil change. Maybe about an ounces worth of the GTI and about 1.5-2 on the gli

Since it's so slow I can't find any residue or wet spots anywhere. It's frustrating

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes. Problem is, the liquid in the overflow leaks very slow. It gets topped off with each oil change. Maybe about an ounces worth of the GTI and about 1.5-2 on the gli

Since it's so slow I can't find any residue or wet spots anywhere. It's frustrating
That slow of a leak sucks.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3

Have you checked the fitting by the turbo? I also have a slow leak that I can't seem to find. I'll smell coolant here and there...but not all the time.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/mk7-gti-coolant-leak-video.374132/

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I’m just going to have to wait till it gets worse. It’s risky as hell.

Have you checked the fitting by the turbo? I also have a slow leak that I can't seem to find. I'll smell coolant here and there...but not all the time.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/mk7-gti-coolant-leak-video.374132/
I have noticed with the G13 unlike other coolants, it doesn’t take much to smell either. I’ve seen other coolants with a mound built up and barely have any odor. Mine would smell terrible in the dead of winter after my 2 mile work commute and you couldn’t see it without a Mirror, flashlight and some uncomfortable bending.

Kingryan

Car(s)
passat
Hey,

similar problem to me. Many months took to solved it but finally I have changed an engine because coolant damage the entine engine's bblock. All in all, i have recommendations to buy an engine from this shop: https://orbimotors.com/. this is best option what I found in the last 6 months. Hopefully it helps to you either

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
There's some precedent for a water pump lawsuit getting somewhere. I got a letter for my BMW 335i in the mail regarding a settlement for the water pump recently (though I got rid of the car a few years ago). Here's what I found on that: https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2020/bmw-water-pump-lawsuit-settlement-reached.shtml

I unfortunately don't think this will push VW to design a revised part, but it might get owners money back if they paid money to get their water pumps replaced.

I don't know why German automakers can't get water pumps right. I've only ever heard/read about water pump issues with the German cars I've owned. That said, my scope here is admittedly limited as I've mostly only bothered to really read and get into forums for cars I've owned.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
My water pump / thermo housing started leaking at about 18k. Was replaced under warranty. Was smelling coolant after driving the car long before. There are other threads about this where I go into more detail.

Not sure what a class action lawsuit is going to help? Maybe those who weren't under warranty when the part failed?

There have been 5 or 6 iterations of the part(s). VW has obviously been trying to fix the issue, and I'm sure if you were to call VWA outside of warranty and bitch they would likely replace the part at no charge. They fully understand this is an ongoing battle. I've had service advisors tell me I'll need 2 or 3 replacements over the life of the vehicle. The real fix would be to design a part that doesn't leak. VW uses plastic rather than metal for many parts for thermo conductivity purposes including the oil pan.

Last edited:

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Not sure what a class action lawsuit is going to help? Maybe those who weren't under warranty when the part failed?

There have been 5 or 6 iterations of the part(s). VW has obviously been trying to fix the issue, and I'm sure if you were to call VWA outside of warranty and bitch they would likely replace the part at no charge. They fully understand this is an ongoing battle. I've had service advisors tell me I'll need 2 or 3 replacements over the life of the vehicle. The real fix would be to design a part that doesn't leak. VW uses plastic rather than metal for many parts for thermo conductivity purposes including the oil pan.
Most class action lawsuits result in a much less than reasonable outcome like a $25 coupon towards a replacement part, $100 off a ticket to Hawaii but only on Wednesdays, a $5 rebate, etc. Never have any of the ones I've ever been a party to provided me any real "relief". Mostly they are never worth my time and postage stamp to submit a claim.

The only proper outcome is a fully covered replacement (parts and labor) WHENEVER it fails, in or out of warranty and replacement with a part that won't likely fail within 10 years or more - like a real metal water pump. Out of all the cars I've owned,. the only water pump that failed was in my then 17 year old Camaro. So I'd expect that kind of longevity in a replacement. But, as I've said, no class action lawsuit has ever really provided me any real value. They are usually less than useless. Just money for the lawyers.