GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New law suit over VW water pumps

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Yeah, that's the odd thing it seems to be very sporadic. Sometimes it stays full for months on end sometimes the loss seems more rapid. Overall it has never gone below the minimum level (which is also confusing) if it is a leak would it not leak until the point of being completely empty? I've never gotten a coolant light, or reached below slightly past minimum fill level.

The other thing you can check out is the plastic fitting on the top of the head next to the turbo. Take off the plastic engine cover and look by the turbo. You'll see a plastic fitting connected to a coolant line. There is a thread on here where the plastic fitting would break and cause a leak.

Here is mine. It does appear to have a wet spot around the bolt.

leak 1.jpeg

leak 2.jpeg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have something similar to you. I'll randomly smell coolant...but can never really find a leak. The coolant level will drop too. Mine is a 2017 and have just under 21k on the odo. My warranty expires next year. If I still can't find a leak...I'm going to take the car to the dealer and see if they can find it.

Maybe if VW gets enough heat...they'll extend the water pump warranty to 10 years or 100k miles.
Most likely the thermostat housing. Tell them to visually inspect it around the housing. It's a waste of time to do a pressure test because it only leaks when it's hot and you're driving.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Most likely the thermostat housing. Tell them to visually inspect it around the housing. It's a waste of time to do a pressure test because it only leaks when it's hot and you're driving.
I dropped my GTI off at the dealer to see if I could get this squared away under warranty. The see nothing, smell nothing, and pressure test showed nothing. I asked them to test drive it which I’m guessing they didn’t before they did a pressure test.
I will be flashing an EQT stage 1 tune when I get home so I was trying to get something out of the dealer before I have to fight with them about any warranty claim in the future.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I dropped my GTI off at the dealer to see if I could get this squared away under warranty. The see nothing, smell nothing, and pressure test showed nothing. I asked them to test drive it which I’m guessing they didn’t before they did a pressure test.
I will be flashing an EQT stage 1 tune when I get home so I was trying to get something out of the dealer before I have to fight with them about any warranty claim in the future.
Did they visually inspect by the thermostat housing? Like I said if it's leaking at the thermostat housing it won't show up in a pressure test.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Mines leaking but its slow enough that i only need to top off the tank every 2 years or so, its just an annoying smell in my garage after i drive it hard. Maybe this lawsuit will drive a recall and let me get it done for free

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Mines leaking but its slow enough that i only need to top off the tank every 2 years or so, its just an annoying smell in my garage after i drive it hard. Maybe this lawsuit will drive a recall and let me get it done for free

Doesn't matter, honestly. I had my water pump / thermo housing done at 18k. I still smell coolant every time I drive the car. Have since the day I brought it back home from the service. I'm now losing coolant again, but not as fast as before. The fluid in the overflow reservoir was just above the full line about 3-4 months ago. It's now closer to the bottom line on the tank.

VWs just eat coolant. Especially the MK5s

Vesta Turan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 Volkswagen GTI S
We are dealing with a failure (not sure exactly where just yet but large loss of coolant) and the housing and thermostat are only 10-12k miles old, so I am trying to figure out if there is a way to prolong the life of said components. If we take steps to cool down the engine bay and the actual fluids running through these components could we possibly see a benefit? I only just started learning about the cooling system, so please forgive me if this is a really stupid question, lol!

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
We are dealing with a failure (not sure exactly where just yet but large loss of coolant) and the housing and thermostat are only 10-12k miles old, so I am trying to figure out if there is a way to prolong the life of said components. If we take steps to cool down the engine bay and the actual fluids running through these components could we possibly see a benefit? I only just started learning about the cooling system, so please forgive me if this is a really stupid question, lol!
Not much u can do unless you find a way to cool the fluid dramatically enough to drop its pressure before shutting the car off.

not tracking it would be a good idea probably 😂

Vesta Turan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 Volkswagen GTI S
Not much u can do unless you find a way to cool the fluid dramatically enough to drop its pressure before shutting the car off.

not tracking it would be a good idea probably 😂

It's our daughter's.... she better not be tracking it!!!!

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion

The same questions keep coming back around. Many here don't read the entirely of the thread, and just simply respond to the latest message.

There have been around 5 iterations of these parts. VW has attempted to redesign them to keep from failing, but they've been unsuccessful at doing so.

Cars have to reach a specific target temp to run optimally. That's about the time the thermostat opens up and allows coolant to circulate through the engine.

So to answer your question, normal heat cycles should not cause components to leak.

Vesta Turan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 Volkswagen GTI S
The same questions keep coming back around. Many here don't read the entirely of the thread, and just simply respond to the latest message.

There have been around 5 iterations of these parts. VW has attempted to redesign them to keep from failing, but they've been unsuccessful at doing so.

Cars have to reach a specific target temp to run optimally. That's about the time the thermostat opens up and allows coolant to circulate through the engine.

So to answer your question, normal heat cycles should not cause components to leak.

I read the entire thread. Sometimes it takes a different set of eyes. Shouldnt just assume people are lazy. Thank you for your help.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

How long has this been an issue? Since the mk6? Or since the early mk7 days?

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
How long has this been an issue? Since the mk6? Or since the early mk7 days?

The MK5s had the crack pipe issue where coolant would pool under the car but people couldn't figure out where it was coming from.

The MK6s had more issues with timing chain tensioners, but I've heard of issues with the cooling systems leaking on those as well.

The MK7s are the one's where the water pump & thermo housing have have multiple part revisions. Not sure whey they can't seem to fix them.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Did they visually inspect by the thermostat housing? Like I said if it's leaking at the thermostat housing it won't show up in a pressure test.
I was told they did. I looked from the underside and did not see anything that would raise concerns either. They put a dye in the system so maybe they will see something if I bring it back to them in the future for service.