GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Key Options

Mass_Paul

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf MK7 GTI S
All,

My used 2017 S DSG only came with one key. Dealers have quoted $200 for a replacement key/fob plus $100 or so for the programing. Is anyone aware of any reliable third party vendors that sell the key/fob at a better price than the delear that I can then have cut and programmed. Not even sure if this is possible or something sold other than OE.

Appreciate any assistance and I apologize if this is already a question elsewhere on the forum. I tried using the search function in various ways, but could not find any results for this.

Thank You,

Paul

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
the $100 for programing is steep for a 5-10 minute job. When I bought mine I got a dealer to waive programing if I bought 2 keys. It was a bit more money but I found it worth it. He was only going to charge me 1/2 hr....total time of drop off to pick up was 15 minutes

At the time (2016) I couldn't find any aftermarket solutions

Mud

edsonmassao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
Never tried but shopping for a complete keyfob on Aliexpress and looking for a locksmith to cut and program could be an option?

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
when i bought a spare, they said it only is sold from the dealer (it's tied to your vin and they order from germany to order). i confirmed this by calling a few vw shops around the area. they could order on my behalf but would still go to the dealer. however, their programming labor was cheaper. 200 is a bit higher than what i paid 2 years ago but msrp may have risen. 100 programming is cheaper than dealer back then. you can probably find a shop to do it for 50-100.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
How would you know if a used transponder works? Would be a costly try if it did not. To anyone buying a vehicle with only one key, get the seller to provide two keys. You absolutely need two. If your one stops working, you'll need to tow the car to a dealer. Dealers need to see the car unless you know someone there personally.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The keys only become "tied" to the car when key adaptation is performed. I would order a used key on eBay. Make sure it's the same part number as your key, you can find that by popping off the battery cover. KESSY keys are a different part number as they have the low power always active transmitter. Order from eBay/Amazon/Ali a new blade and case if the used one is in poor condition. Find a locksmith that can cut keys and have the new blade cut.

Key adaptation (pairs with BCM, immobilizer, KESSY if you have it) is a literal 10 minute process. Any shop with ODIS online can pair keys. More time will be spent pulling the car into the bay and getting the diagnostics computer connected. That being said, a dealer may charge a full hour, especially if they didn't sell you the key.

But then again as @ksurl mentioned a dealer may offer to program "for free" if you buy keys from them. The money, of course, being the sale of the key.

These are for NAR fobs, EU fobs will be a different part number, as they use a different frequency.
Non KESSY part number: 5Q0 959 752 BD
KESSY fob part number: 5Q0 959 752 BE
I'm sure these parts have been superseded but you can still find them with a quick Google search.

@Mass_Paul I would bet you could find a dealer that will do the programming for free if you buy a key from them.

@The Fed My dealer doesn't charge me if the service is not completed. In this case they may want to bill you at the time of the failed attempt, with an agreement to try again with another key. If they expect me to pay whether the pairing works or not that would need to be agreed upon up front... and I would not agree to it and would take the car elsewhere. I suspect most dealers will be happy to make an hour of labor for 20 minutes of work, even if it becomes 40 minutes of work after you come back with a working key.

If buying a used car I would of course prefer to have the seller provide two keys. But I wouldn't pass on a good car/good deal over a second key. The car needs to be at the dealer (or service shop with ODIS online) for keys to be programmed and all the keys you want programmed must be available at the time of programming. So if you wanted two spares you would need to bring all 3 keys with you. If you left one at home you could not pair the two then come back and pair the third. All need to be done in the same session. If you are paying a dealer/shop best bring them all and pay once. Ask me how how I know :LOL:.

For a lot more money, but the opportunity to have very cool looking keys you could buy a programmer...
https://www.vvdishop.com/wholesale/...-bmw-obd-cas4-fem-bdc-authorization-9226.html
https://www.uhs-hardware.com/produc...rt-key-w-proximity-function-for-vvdi-key-tool

Last edited:

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
Yeah they charged me 1 hr labor. I wish i knew a shop that could do it cheaper at the time. But it was convenient.