GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New guy with 60k

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Hello!
I just picked up a '17 with just about 62k. The service record is good in that it looks like maintenance was done regularly. However I bought it from a CarMax and while I'm sure they mean well..... :rolleyes:

I want to re-do most of the maintenance. Plus it appears they over filled the oil.
I've found the maintenance schedule, and am generally pretty handy with some instruction. I managed to keep my 2006 Ford Focus running for 212,000 miles
However I don't really understand the engine oil situation. I found the stickied chart, and my engine says 50200, but the chart lists like 10 weights as compatible? So is it just pick based on situation from that chart then?

Since we're here... Whats the favorite oil around here? I've always used Mobil 1 full syn., but I'm not brand loyal. This car makes significantly more power than the rusty old Focus did, and I would like to push this one to 200k+ if I can.
Also am not entirely sure about weight, I generally understand the function, but I've also just always used the OEM suggested weights. I live in Ohio so yesterday It rained and was near 60, today the high is 20~.

Sorry to start off with a question right away, I tried using search but it kept return 0 results?

Thank you in advance!

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
5W-40 is the oil and make sure it is VW 502 approved, Castrol Edge is a great option. At that mileage since you want to do the maintenance, I would do the following:
Flush brake fluid with VW approved brake fluid.
Replace spark plugs, taking out ignition coils is much easier when engine is warm.
Replace transmission fluid.
Replace differential fluid if you have the performance pack.

Enjoy and welcome to the dub life!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hello!
I just picked up a '17 with just about 62k. The service record is good in that it looks like maintenance was done regularly. However I bought it from a CarMax and while I'm sure they mean well..... :rolleyes:

I want to re-do most of the maintenance. Plus it appears they over filled the oil.
I've found the maintenance schedule, and am generally pretty handy with some instruction. I managed to keep my 2006 Ford Focus running for 212,000 miles
However I don't really understand the engine oil situation. I found the stickied chart, and my engine says 50200, but the chart lists like 10 weights as compatible? So is it just pick based on situation from that chart then?

Since we're here... Whats the favorite oil around here? I've always used Mobil 1 full syn., but I'm not brand loyal. This car makes significantly more power than the rusty old Focus did, and I would like to push this one to 200k+ if I can.
Also am not entirely sure about weight, I generally understand the function, but I've also just always used the OEM suggested weights. I live in Ohio so yesterday It rained and was near 60, today the high is 20~.

Sorry to start off with a question right away, I tried using search but it kept return 0 results?

Thank you in advance!
Congratulations and welcome to the forum. 👍

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Found the oil and other maintenance pieces. Cant wait to get started!

Thank you!

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
I was a Mobil 1 0w40 guy in my Saab.

But factory fill for my '15 GTI was 5W40 Castrol...so I've just stuck with that, every 5k. At 71k now, have had it since new, so I'll continue to stick with that.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I was a Mobil 1 0w40 guy in my Saab.

But factory fill for my '15 GTI was 5W40 Castrol...so I've just stuck with that, every 5k. At 71k now, have had it since new, so I'll continue to stick with that.
I used the same oil in my S/O's 9-5.

For the GTI I've been using liqui-moly 5w40 every 5k miles

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Thanks everyone. Ordered LiquidMoly/molygen in 5w-40 and popped in a new filter.
Glad I did it too. Maintenance records showed oil had been changed in the last 10k miles but it was very dark. I'll do the next one a bit earlier, likely around 6-7k just to keep an eye on things.