GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Golf R Owner mk7.5

peeta

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If you're happy with the stock power for now, just upgrade your handling and stiffen it up a bit and get better tires. Code in some comfort features (mirror dip, windows down with key fob) aesthetic upgrades or add a JB4 to start if you're worried.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's not like I'll be tracking this car anytime soon or anything 😏

peeta

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
This is sound advice, OP. I’ve been running a JB1 Flawlessly on my R since 2017. It gives it some much needed spunk for the type of driving I do.

But after 3 years, I’m brining my car in to HPA today (9am PT) for my full Stage 2 project.

And since, you mentioned warranty. My car is a 2016, bought CPO in 2017. I spent almost $5000CAD on an extended warranty (5 additional years) thinking I’d keep it stock (thanks Petrolicious). Turns out, money just comes out my ass randomly.

Good luck!

Damn bro upload a video when you're done! I wish I shitted gold nuggets. But that would hurt 😆

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Damn bro upload a video when you're done! I wish I shitted gold nuggets. But that would hurt 😆

Haha. Ok, for a little more context...

I plan on keeping the R for as long as I can, so I got the warranty. 3 years in, I decided to go another direction.

My wife and I don’t have kids, aren’t rich/from rich families or make a ton, but we live WELL within our means. Both our cars are fully paid, own our condo and have a 3+ year rainy day fund.

If circumstances were different, I would’ve kept my Stage 2 Mk7 GTI (which I traded in for the R in 2017).

peeta

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
When do the new wheels arrive? 🤭

(sorry for hating, it's not you, it's Englishtowns)

I heard these stock wheels don't last a long time, so whenever these go :giggle:

Anyone have issues with spacers? I'm trying to get 10mm front and 15mm back - would these rub with stock wheel/tires?

peeta

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
When do the new wheels arrive? 🤭

(sorry for hating, it's not you, it's Englishtowns)

Some black wheels would look pretty nice though huh? Make it straight panda.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I do like the look of black wheels but the PP/ R brake pads make -so much- dust it's a neverending battle to keep them clean.

Bronze on white is where it's at, I'm biased though. :D

peeta

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I do like the look of black wheels but the PP/ R brake pads make -so much- dust it's a neverending battle to keep them clean.

Bronze on white is where it's at, I'm biased though. :D

Bronze on white is sick! esp those bbs ci-r ones

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
I heard these stock wheels don't last a long time, so whenever these go :giggle:

Anyone have issues with spacers? I'm trying to get 10mm front and 15mm back - would these rub with stock wheel/tires?

Not at all. I have the same spacer set up on my stock wheels even with my VWR springs.

Attachments

• vw rear pic.jpg
    vw rear pic.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 100

Lager_Ace

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
This is sound advice, OP. I’ve been running a JB1 Flawlessly on my R since 2017. It gives it some much needed spunk for the type of driving I do.

But after 3 years, I’m brining my car in to HPA today (9am PT) for my full Stage 2 project.

And since, you mentioned warranty. My car is a 2016, bought CPO in 2017. I spent almost $5000CAD on an extended warranty (5 additional years) thinking I’d keep it stock (thanks Petrolicious). Turns out, money just comes out my ass randomly.

Good luck!
Let us know how your HPA experience goes. I probably going there next spring from Kamloops. Saving up💰💰

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Let us know how your HPA experience goes. I probably going there next spring from Kamloops. Saving up💰💰

Picked the car an hour ago. HPA experience has been amazing and the car, though not fully pushed yet, feels awesome and barely louder than stock - exactly what I want!

As not to steal this thread, let me know what questions you have, if any.

Last edited:

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Get summer tires and light weight wheels, an upgraded sway bar, some stiffer mounts, stiffer suspension then start tuning, boyeeeeeee

drshark

Ready to race!
My only advice is to go slow: enjoy the process. Research and shopping--that's an integral part of the tuning experience. Spread it out over the years. Maybe you'll move to a cold place (and suddenly wheels and snows matter) or a hot place (an oversize intercooler). Even if it's used, keep the car for 6,7,8+ years. You'll love it even more...

Lager_Ace

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
My only advice is to go slow: enjoy the process. Research and shopping--that's an integral part of the tuning experience. Spread it out over the years. Maybe you'll move to a cold place (and suddenly wheels and snows matter) or a hot place (an oversize intercooler). Even if it's used, keep the car for 6,7,8+ years. You'll love it even more...
Great advice (y) Yes , where you live, the environment can make a difference on what you mod.