GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Garrett Turbos for MQB

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Interesting. Yeah its the TBB unit. Cost? (my guess is you'll say depends what's broke) there is alot of play in the shaft and it touches the sides, but no lost vanes, i guess caught it before it became a more serious issue. no smoke or anything, just the "regular" rattling. thank you.
prices start at $950 Canadian. Both housings and the compressor wheel need to reusable, if the comp wheel rubbed it is most likely not reusable, comp wheel adds $200cdn to the price.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
My Near-unique point of ref.

I’m running a is38 hybrid that was created/released back in 2015… LOBA LO462

https://m.facebook.com/pg/LOBA.Moto...com&__nodl&tab=album&album_id=994617607246043

Doesn’t have a coordinated tuner or ideal tune either. Hell I don’t even know of one other person I’ve come across that runs it, O34 sells a kit with it and developed their OTS tune with United motorsports for it for stock fuel and super safe parameters, that runs it on 24psi with a taper to 22/21 for pump gas.

I picked it up from a friend that ran it with that tune for 5k then went to vortex xl.

I’ve now ran it for 30k miles with it on a ethanol tune running 28/29 psi from spool up (3600/3800 rpms) to redline 7200. (Wastegate is in the mid 70% above 4600rpms)

And yeah In regards to the toss up note above…it’s valid haha, with this turbo and getting it custom tuned we didn’t have any direct point of reference to build the tune or really know how much risk we are taking with the unit at the levels it’s at right now (still going to add more fuel and try to push to 30+ At some point too) but I do know should something go pop on the turbo I will just be getting different unit cause I don’t think loba has any current activity and chasing a rebuild from a German built unit doesn’t sound fun.

Last edited:

turbovw1

Go Kart Newbie
So after driving my Golf R with the G25-660 turbo on the car for the weekend, I can finally give my first impression of this kit.

First of all, WOW! I knew I wanted more power than what the IS38 would produce but the car is a whole new animal. United Motorsports killed it with this tune! Still working out some cold start idle and stud seeing issues with them but once the car is warmed up, it’s perfect. Idle and just cruising around is like a stock car. It’s even more quiet than before. Absolutely beautiful!

As for the power, the power band is delayed roughly 800-1000 RPM from the IS38 but once it hits, it puts you back in the seat. 50-100 happens in 3-5 seconds. It’s an absolute beast in the upper RPM range and the car seems to love it. Currently pushing 32 PSI and holding 28-30 PSI throughout the powerband. Still on stock block so the torque is limited to about 425-450 UM predicts. Horsepower should be close to 500 or a little more.

United Motorsports suggested the engine may be choking up a bit with the stock air box and suggested a larger intake for the engine. The car is a full AMS build so I planned on getting their intake soon anyways. I’m also on the stock catback exhaust so once I upgrade that as well, I should pick up another 15-30hp on the car.

If you are on the fence with this kit and want big power without spending crazy money, this kit can easily get you in the 11’s and maybe the 10’s if you have a DSG gearbox. Just for reference, the shop that did the install, advised me my setup felt a little bit faster than another car in the shop that had the APR EFR kit on it. Take that for what it’s worth but I found that interesting.

Overall, the car feels stock during normal driving but can easily take out 90% of the cars on the street. I’m very happy with my decision to go with a full frame turbo over a hybrid. UM did an excellent job with the tuning!

Attachments

• C2389AF2-D315-4F26-8DBB-5C7BDEF9D295.jpeg
    C2389AF2-D315-4F26-8DBB-5C7BDEF9D295.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 191
  • 9BDAFA40-EFE5-45E6-8846-32611CA433EF.jpeg
    9BDAFA40-EFE5-45E6-8846-32611CA433EF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 182
  • 6E1092BE-C27F-4EAE-BD2A-1240F9E6217E.jpeg
    6E1092BE-C27F-4EAE-BD2A-1240F9E6217E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 181

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
So after driving my Golf R with the G25-660 turbo on the car for the weekend, I can finally give my first impression of this kit.

First of all, WOW! I knew I wanted more power than what the IS38 would produce but the car is a whole new animal. United Motorsports killed it with this tune! Still working out some cold start idle and stud seeing issues with them but once the car is warmed up, it’s perfect. Idle and just cruising around is like a stock car. It’s even more quiet than before. Absolutely beautiful!

As for the power, the power band is delayed roughly 800-1000 RPM from the IS38 but once it hits, it puts you back in the seat. 50-100 happens in 3-5 seconds. It’s an absolute beast in the upper RPM range and the car seems to love it. Currently pushing 32 PSI and holding 28-30 PSI throughout the powerband. Still on stock block so the torque is limited to about 425-450 UM predicts. Horsepower should be close to 500 or a little more.

United Motorsports suggested the engine may be choking up a bit with the stock air box and suggested a larger intake for the engine. The car is a full AMS build so I planned on getting their intake soon anyways. I’m also on the stock catback exhaust so once I upgrade that as well, I should pick up another 15-30hp on the car.

If you are on the fence with this kit and want big power without spending crazy money, this kit can easily get you in the 11’s and maybe the 10’s if you have a DSG gearbox. Just for reference, the shop that did the install, advised me my setup felt a little bit faster than another car in the shop that had the APR EFR kit on it. Take that for what it’s worth but I found that interesting.

Overall, the car feels stock during normal driving but can easily take out 90% of the cars on the street. I’m very happy with my decision to go with a full frame turbo over a hybrid. UM did an excellent job with the tuning!
What fueling?

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie

Told ya!! Nice! it's an absolute monster that can keep up with modified M4's. I personally have lowered boost to 26psi. as it's more than enough juice for me especially with corn. and also to be on the safer-side of things hopefully. but I have a manual.
what was your fueling setup? I don't remember if you had MPI also or not.

still have this other question though when you get more acquainted with the setup.

Question I had was do you notice at around 4.1k RPM's or so while accelerating, just light to mid-throttle acceleration though you feel like a switchover? (kind of the like the switchover feeling that occurs when the cam-phasers kick-in that changes the lobe profile around 3.2k). I was wondering what that is exactly or if it's only present on my vehicle.

Enjoy the car! and the new-found power!

turbovw1

Go Kart Newbie
Told ya!! Nice! it's an absolute monster that can keep up with modified M4's. I personally have lowered boost to 26psi. as it's more than enough juice for me especially with corn. and also to be on the safer-side of things hopefully. but I have a manual.
what was your fueling setup? I don't remember if you had MPI also or not.

still have this other question though when you get more acquainted with the setup.

Question I had was do you notice at around 4.1k RPM's or so while accelerating, just light to mid-throttle acceleration though you feel like a switchover? (kind of the like the switchover feeling that occurs when the cam-phasers kick-in that changes the lobe profile around 3.2k). I was wondering what that is exactly or if it's only present on my vehicle.

Enjoy the car! and the new-found power!
Sounds like we have a similar setup. I am on MPI (925cc), Precision Racework’s 535 intank fuel pump (no PM4), larger fuel line to the engine bay, and UM’s ethanol flex fuel kit. I am also a manual car so it’s not quite as fast as the DSG guys.

That’s exactly about the time the boost kicks in. It’s a little after the love profile changes. The best way I can describe it is like a Honda with VTEC.

Glad you are loving the setup too! Can’t wait to take it to the track soon. :)

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
His pictures show MPI.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Sounds like we have a similar setup. I am on MPI (925cc), Precision Racework’s 535 intank fuel pump (no PM4), larger fuel line to the engine bay, and UM’s ethanol flex fuel kit. I am also a manual car so it’s not quite as fast as the DSG guys.

That’s exactly about the time the boost kicks in. It’s a little after the love profile changes. The best way I can describe it is like a Honda with VTEC.

Glad you are loving the setup too! Can’t wait to take it to the track soon. :)
Got it. thanks. what clutch? I'm SB III daily. Have fun at the track!

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
I have the same one but the Endurance. It’s good for 550hp I believe but I’m sure it doesn’t have much life in it since I’ve had it since 25k miles. Currently 97k on the car now. 😬
Understood. yeah I was on the fence on those 2 but ultimately went with daily b/c i heard it was a bit too grabby and that once the kevlar gets heated up it'll ruin. but to get heated up you have to basically beat on the clutch and drag/slip clutch a whole lot. sounds like you got good use out of it thus far! keep it up!

turbovw1

Go Kart Newbie
Understood. yeah I was on the fence on those 2 but ultimately went with daily b/c i heard it was a bit too grabby and that once the kevlar gets heated up it'll ruin. but to get heated up you have to basically beat on the clutch and drag/slip clutch a whole lot. sounds like you got good use out of it thus far! keep it up!
60k on the current clutch and it’s not much stiffer than a stock clutch. I’d likely buy another South Bend clutch again for sure!