GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Garrett Turbos for MQB

scrllock

Autocross Champion
How does your Garrett feel compared to the vortex now that you have had it street tuned?
Very responsive. I am traction-limited at the moment, will put my PS4S 255s back on today or tomorrow.
Where did you see me push Vortex turbos in this thread? I never said a word about any other competing turbo, you decided to make it about that. Cross shopping a Vortex and a S1 Powermax doesn't make sense, they're different products for different customers.

I also didn't say the Powermax was junk, i said they're responsive and spool well, and we have had no issues on the ones we've tuned so far.

"Junk" and "cross shopping a vortex" are your words, not mine. You did say that it wasn't more than an IS38+, which is a product you sell. If you don't have actual data to contribute, I'll continue assuming this is more EQT FUD.

Hoon

Autocross Champion

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
Is this EQT FUD too? Stock fuel 26psi and it spit the wheels out, two pages earlier in this same thread, yet you think it's implausible that there are other cases and I must be making things up to sell turbos I didn't mention and get paid less to tune?

New Garrett Turbos for MQB | Page 28 | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

I'm out of this one boys. Have fun.
All turbos can fail. The garrett,xona,borgwarner,dbv2,hpa is38,tpc,rxturbo,ihi turbos,eqt hybrids and the gimmick that is the eqt is38+ aren't failure proof. Maybe the failure is tune related?

Last edited:

gingercabrio

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R, Cabrio VR6
Did that guy with the blown turbo ever reveal what tune he was running, beyond saying he's not EQT tuned? Seems strange that he couldn't answer that question and then disappeared, most people would've provided that information in the first post. Not suggesting it's a massive lizard conspiracy, but sounds a bit like DIY street tuning to me.

Last edited:

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
All turbos can fail. The garrett,xona,borgwarner,dbv2,hpa is38,tpc,rxturbo,ihi turbos,eqt hybrids and the gimmick that is the eqt is38+ aren't failure proof. Maybe the failure is tune related?
True, My DBV2-V1 lasted 10k miles on 25-26psi( is that considered modest-high boost?). Now it's a paperweight. or maybe I can have it rebuilt and sell it to some poor soul...

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
We (TPC) can rebuild it if it is a journal bearing dbv and if it is their Triple ball bearing we can convert it journal bearing.
Interesting. Yeah its the TBB unit. Cost? (my guess is you'll say depends what's broke) there is alot of play in the shaft and it touches the sides, but no lost vanes, i guess caught it before it became a more serious issue. no smoke or anything, just the "regular" rattling. thank you.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I have tuned 2 pmax 2260 turbos, the one thing they both had in common was boost control took quite a bit of work getting under control, more than most turbos, you have to treat these turbos like an is38 as far as the boost curve and what not. Out of the two, one of them failed, the comp wheel nut literally came off, the other one runs good in a full weight S3 with a 290lb driver and 180lb passenger did 11.5@120 on the street. Treat them like an is38 and they will do good, as hoon said, the spool is good and so is response but imo should not carry the Garrett name.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I am just waiting for more information to share.. I'll be pulling the turbo out next weekend to RMA. My guess is either the nut spun off and it spun till the shaft broke or the shaft broke and it stopped making boost. Either way 26 psi on stock fueling shouldn't even came close to breaking this turbo. Not when they have videos of their turbos on MPI and upgraded fueling pushing more.. I just got a Monday or Friday turbo......

gingercabrio

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R, Cabrio VR6
I am just waiting for more information to share.. I'll be pulling the turbo out next weekend to RMA. My guess is either the nut spun off and it spun till the shaft broke or the shaft broke and it stopped making boost. Either way 26 psi on stock fueling shouldn't even came close to breaking this turbo. Not when they have videos of their turbos on MPI and upgraded fueling pushing more.. I just got a Monday or Friday turbo......
Maybe once you pull the turbo you'll be able to figure out who tuned it.

railroader

Autocross Newbie