GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Garrett Turbos for MQB

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'm aware of his intention to point out how big the business is. For me that just means time spent on hold with a robot and a lack of communication from/between customer service representatives. Compartmentalized big businesses make me sick, and IMO are not a great deciding factor... that's what I would call hype. Everything else I need to see is right there in the dyno results.

I think a lot of people that want to go with Garrett for the name don't think they will ever need to call Garrett. The turbo should just work if operated properly. Not saying they won't fail, just saying that's the logic.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Edit: Also the Zage turbo manufacturer in Taiwan who produces the Vortex also manufactures turbos for Garrett? Hmm...
They're a Garrett service center, since they have access to CHRAs in bulk and the means to balance/rebuild. I believe the relationship is in the other direction.
Honestly nothing against them, except that if you order a turbo from EQT, it's usually going to come directly from Taiwan vs. domestic inventory. Barely even matters these days though in terms of backorders.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Don't get me wrong, they're decent turbos, but you're paying for a lot of hype.

That's been their entire business model for the last few years. And I'm saying that as a guy with one of their turbos on my car.

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
Not aytime soon. It only took them 6 - 7 years to make one for the MK7/7.5 so don't get your hopes up.
Maybe they will fix the surge issue on the stage 2 turbo. It probably won't be too long.Garrett does make the mk8 gti turbo. Also the specs of the stage 1 turbo are almost identical to the mk8r turbo. Vw probably had garret design a turbo for the mk8r. The powermax housings are very similar in design to the oem mk8 gti turbo.
1643223235509.png

max_power

Go Kart Newbie
Since this seems to be the thread with the most talk about this turbo, has anyone seen any concrete info about the 2019+ cars and this turbo? I emailed Garrett about it but haven't heard anything back.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Since this seems to be the thread with the most talk about this turbo, has anyone seen any concrete info about the 2019+ cars and this turbo? I emailed Garrett about it but haven't heard anything back.
They're fine, the turbo comes with the same actuator my 2019 IS38 did. I've used the other style on my car too.

gingercabrio

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R, Cabrio VR6
I'm aware of his intention to point out how big the business is. For me that just means time spent on hold with a robot and a lack of communication from/between customer service representatives. Compartmentalized big businesses make me sick, and IMO are not a great deciding factor... that's what I would call hype. Everything else I need to see is right there in the dyno results.

Edit: Also the Zage turbo manufacturer in Taiwan who produces the Vortex also manufactures turbos for Garrett? Hmm...
For me, it's because I'm already familiar with Garrett products, and in my world Garrett is actually quite small. Granted, their family lineage has branched off recently, but I like to think there is still a common thread of straightforward, reliable design.
9dy8kju4tcp21.jpg

Last edited: