GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Garrett Turbos for MQB

gingercabrio

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R, Cabrio VR6
Amazing to read this thread from the beginning. Loads of baseless naysayers, and then suddenly they all go quiet as the results come in. $1,350 is a great price to get an extra 40hp over the IS38 with essentially no loss in spool characteristics. Best of all, it's not yet another TD06 in some random housing! Will be picking this or the Mk8 Conti once we start to see those on the Mk7.

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
Amazing to read this thread from the beginning. Loads of baseless naysayers, and then suddenly they all go quiet as the results come in. $1,350 is a great price to get an extra 40hp over the IS38 with essentially no loss in spool characteristics. Best of all, it's not yet another TD06 in some random housing! Will be picking this or the Mk8 Conti once we start to see those on the Mk7.
Yeah I am really curious to see how the continental turbo compares to the garrett stage 1 turbo. The are roughly the same size. The conti turbo is 1mm bigger on the cold and hot side so maybe it will make a little more power.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yeah I am really curious to see how the continental turbo compares to the garrett stage 1 turbo. The are roughly the same size. The conti turbo is 1mm bigger on the cold and hot side so maybe it will make a little more power.
That is interesting! The biggest thing I'd like to compare is how long it takes to spool up. Is38 with that is12 spool up time would be the dream 😂

Agron25

Car(s)
Golf mk7 R
Good Result
Garnett Power Max stage 1( uss performance/c2 Motorsport )

Setup : ( 20%e85 )

➡️ Turbo
➡️ FMIC
➡️ Intake
➡️ HPFP
➡️ Exhaust sport (200 cell)
je vois que tu es de france ,beau résultat ,ça passe encore sans basse pression avec 20% d'E85 encore

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Seems Vortex standard is still the way to go.

gingercabrio

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R, Cabrio VR6
Seems Vortex standard is still the way to go.
It depends on what you're looking for. On the last page someone posted a 470bhp run with E20 or about 94 octane, I've seen the Vortex standard makes about 460whp on 96 octane. Figure the small Garrett makes about 10-15% less power than the Vortex standard, spools 500rpm earlier, and costs about 40% less. And I personally have much more faith in a company whose nameplate can also be found on Learjet and Falcon engines rather than a company that seems to consist largely of a guy on the internet named Ed, nice as he may be.

From @Gomze on the last page.
FB_IMG_1640635965420.jpg

From EQT.
kelvin_17golf_r_large.jpg

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
It depends on what you're looking for. On the last page someone posted a 470bhp run with E20 or about 94 octane, I've seen the Vortex standard makes about 460whp on 96 octane. Figure the small Garrett makes about 10-15% less power than the Vortex standard, spools 500rpm earlier, and costs about 40% less. And I personally have much more faith in a company whose nameplate can also be found on Learjet and Falcon engines rather than a company that seems to consist largely of a guy on the internet named Ed, nice as he may be.

From @Gomze on the last page.
View attachment 234323
From EQT.
View attachment 234324
For the price. The stage 1 garrett turbo is hard to beat. Plus it is nice that it isn't just another hybrid with a knockoff 3071 or td06 core in it. It seems like a great turbo to daily and have some fun with. No wonder vw picked a turbo with similar specs to be in the mk8r.

Last edited:

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
And I personally have much more faith in a company whose nameplate can also be found on Learjet and Falcon engines rather than a company that seems to consist largely of a guy on the internet named Ed, nice as he may be.
Why? They're both businesses, they should be judged on their customer service and practices.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Why? They're both businesses, they should be judged on their customer service and practices.
saying they're both businesses is like saying both Michael Jordan and I play basketball.

Garrett is a billion dollar company with guys in white coats. Ed doesn't manufacture or design turbos, they just locked in US distribution for Zage's 71mm compressor spec on their MQB IHI clones. No proprietary materials or turbine aero, and no compressor maps. If you order direct from Zage, guess who makes their premium ball-bearing CHRA upgrade option?
Without vendor markup, a Powermax stage 1 (with calibrated actuator, TMD, and TIP) is roughly the same price as a standard vtx. Don't get me wrong, they're decent turbos, but you're paying for a lot of hype.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I think what he's saying is that Garrett has a lot more resources and hopefully more R&D
I'm aware of his intention to point out how big the business is. For me that just means time spent on hold with a robot and a lack of communication from/between customer service representatives. Compartmentalized big businesses make me sick, and IMO are not a great deciding factor... that's what I would call hype. Everything else I need to see is right there in the dyno results.

Edit: Also the Zage turbo manufacturer in Taiwan who produces the Vortex also manufactures turbos for Garrett? Hmm...

Last edited: