GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Garrett Turbos for MQB

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
That's fair then, my understanding was that overspeed at WOT is what can cause it to surge, but obviously thats a super basic view

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Reelin' em back in!

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I don't think it had to do with turbo speed, when shaft speed got up to 160k the surging stopped.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
I see on the EQT page it says there's a hole for a speed sensor, would they be able to integrate that into our current ECU at all, or would it be just for manual monitoring?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
^ I am wondering the same thing. The stage 1 looks like it can hit my next power goal, but I want to be sure before I rule out the pricier options.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I see on the EQT page it says there's a hole for a speed sensor, would they be able to integrate that into our current ECU at all, or would it be just for manual monitoring?
As far as I know, there's no mechanism to monitor shaft speed in the ECU. You can still watch the gauge manually if you want, and ecutek or winols may allow the flexibility to define new map interactions.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I believe that's in anticipation to be compatible with the Mk8.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
What is the bhp rating of an is38? 410?

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Normal IS38 is good to around 380-400 crank, at around 27-28 PSI, on 93. You can go a bit higher with e85 or a meth spray

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Normal IS38 is good to around 380-400 crank, at around 27-28 PSI, on 93. You can go a bit higher with e85 or a meth spray
Normally an IS38 tops out around 365 HP with FBO's and 28-29 psi on 93. You'll need ethanol to get to 400 HP. That's wheel HP. So 400 HP crank sounds about right.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
RIP this turbo.

Talk about surge, yikes. Garrett seemed to just stuff big wheels into small housings without actually verifying it would work. 😬

FB-GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI -> Golf R
RIP this turbo.

Talk about surge, yikes. Garrett seemed to just stuff big wheels into small housings without actually verifying it would work. 😬
If the stage 1 map ends up being accurate it looks like it can reach around 19 psi by 2300 rpm. That's better than my IS38, which also has a reputation for getting into surge. If the Garrett needs to be held back to boost like the IS38, with the ability to hold 29 psi to redline, that would be o.k. to me.