GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Garrett Turbos for MQB

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
400-420whp is absolutely perfect for a car around our weight. Anything over that the manuals are going to break quite often too.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Now that's funny.
Eh I mean it can be done but it gets really expensive real quick.

I've pretty much maxed out my IS38+, and wouldn't feel comfortable going any higher without a built motor for a daily.
Priced out to build my motor/DSG clutches/fueling/XL and, it comes really close to sell my car and buy a CPO RS3 and have the better motor/trans.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Eh I mean it can be done but it gets really expensive real quick.

I've pretty much maxed out my IS38+, and wouldn't feel comfortable going any higher without a built motor for a daily.
Priced out to build my motor/DSG clutches/fueling/XL and, it comes really close to sell my car and buy a CPO RS3 and have the better motor/trans.
hes just referring to how you limit the comment to 2 brands for reliable big power when theres a good handful more proven brands for both those things.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Over speeding and compressor surge are different issues.
I mean technically yes, but overspeed conditions will lead to surge in any gas turbine.

Now the issue comes in that without a compressor map it's hard to say at what speed that surge will happen, vs what speed the bearings give out.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
400-420whp is absolutely perfect for a car around our weight. Anything over that the manuals are going to break quite often too.
In the spirit of GTIfan99, "Please post your source for this audacious claim."

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I mean technically yes, but overspeed conditions will lead to surge in any gas turbine.

Now the issue comes in that without a compressor map it's hard to say at what speed that surge will happen, vs what speed the bearings give out.

lol, what do you mean "without a compressor map"?

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
I know the Garretts have em, it was more directed at that turbo speed is still correlated with surge and you can't know for sure when that happens without one.

FB-GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI -> Golf R
I know the Garretts have em, it was more directed at that turbo speed is still correlated with surge and you can't know for sure when that happens without one.
Are you referring to an axial flow gas turbine? Maybe overspeed will cause surge all the time with that design, it's been a long time since I looked at those.

The map above shows the compressor could be oversped going past the choke line, but that wouldn't be surge. There's also the possibility of having compressor surge at less than maximum rpm, which is probably the more common situation encountered.

Referencing the points that were being made, you could overspeed a centrifugal compressor and not enter surge, so you wouldn't hear it. Or you could hear the sounds of surge, but not be overspeeding the turbo. Without having a speed sensor and a compressor map where a turbo is operating is a guess.