GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Garrett Turbos for MQB

FB-GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI -> Golf R
This has my attention:

IE Trueflex tuned using the stage 1 Garrett.

Full blog post.

https://performancebyie.com/blogs/i...tuning-in-the-10s-trueflex-audi-a3-record-run
"That magical 10-second number is even more impressive as this was accomplished with all IE shelf bolt-on parts, sticky tires, and minimal weight reduction that anyone can do! Full list of modifications is listed below."

• Removed catback section of exhaust

Seriously? Do people remove their exhausts when they go to the drag strip?

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
"That magical 10-second number is even more impressive as this was accomplished with all IE shelf bolt-on parts, sticky tires, and minimal weight reduction that anyone can do! Full list of modifications is listed below."

Yeah some do.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
It's added weight, and depending on your setup can be a restriction. I would drop it if I was trying to make a serious time.
Yeah, definitely if only trying to get the best time.

In this case it makes it less impressive sijce they had to drop weight and am exhaust to get that time.

To me the number will be a whole lot more impressive of the time was done without the weight reduction.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Yeah, definitely if only trying to get the best time.

In this case it makes it less impressive sijce they had to drop weight and am exhaust to get that time.

To me the number will be a whole lot more impressive of the time was done without the weight reduction.
Same. I run mine how I run on the street. I don’t even lower tire pressures.

scrllock

Autocross Champion

Probably took the seats out too, which is even less effort. If you're trying to sell turbos as "10 second car" products then yeah, you take that out, lol.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
PSA: All Good things must come to an end.......
1650671617968.png

1650671458867.png

1650671498051.png

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Do tell…
I don't have a lot of information... I was merging on the highway in 3rd hitting 6k and I saw smoke coming out of the back.. I pulled right off and smoke was coming out of my dipstick.. No error lights just one code which was probably stating the obvious.. We only got 26psi with stock fueling...

Last edited:

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs

scrllock

Autocross Champion
What year is your car? Apparently, Garrett is saying 19+ Is a no-go due to the 0w20 oil.
You're the only person I've seen suggest this.
And the reason 2019 GTIs are spec'd to use 0w20 is because the emissions requirements for the GTI are a bit stricter (See APR turdo megathread). Just run a 30 weight if that's actually a problem. For whatever reason, Garrett only listed up to 2018 on their compatibility list and that spawned a litany of conspiracy theories as to why you shouldn't use these turbos on a 2019+.

For instance, IE has this nonsense on their page for it:

2019+ Golf R, GTI, A3, & S3 factory turbochargers feature changes to the wastegate and is currently not supported.

This just.. isn't true? And the Garretts come with their own actuator anyway.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
You're the only person I've seen suggest this.
And the reason 2019 GTIs are spec'd to use 0w20 is because the emissions requirements for the GTI are a bit stricter (See APR turdo megathread). Just run a 30 weight if that's actually a problem. For whatever reason, Garrett only listed up to 2018 on their compatibility list and that spawned a litany of conspiracy theories as to why you shouldn't use these turbos on a 2019+.

For instance, IE has this nonsense on their page for it:

This just.. isn't true? And the Garretts come with their own actuator anyway.
It's because the 2019 GTI uses a different turbo inlet.