GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Eibach Pro Kit Installed

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
When they do sag...its typically the springs settling into things like the rubber isolators.

It's like cable stretch on a bike. Its not the cable stretching but its the cable housing settling into the ferrules

Good point. I'm not expecting to go down any more i think its already low enough as it sits imo.

Really enjoying the car now though! Can't stop looking at it lol

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Not true

The front is trickier, but you can jack the car up and slide the dust boot up & the bump stop down and then trim/cut it with a sharp razor blade. Just made sure you don't cut into the strut shaft. There's just limited space there with the spring's coils possibly getting in the way.

The rear is definitely easier and can be done on the car still though. Jack the car up, cut the zip tie for the shock's dust boot, slide it down & out of the way. Then pull the bump stop down and trim/cut the end off while not cutting into the shock's shaft. Slide the bump stop back up into the shock mount, zip tie the dust boot back up and you're done.

I've cut the front bump stops on the car with a really sharp steak knife, when the wife wasn't lookin'. Not a perfect cut but good enough.
Hmm, and people on the forum criticize the 2x4 method for strut removal/installation as being unsafe? It may be possible for some using that method, but I suspect not most. I'm pretty sure my hands wouldn't fit between the coils to do that. I recall having to remove the rear fender liner to get to the top of the shocks. If so, once you get that far, why not just remove the shock? Much easier to make a good precise cut with the bump stops removed IMHO.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Hmm, and people on the forum criticize the 2x4 method for strut removal/installation as being unsafe? It may be possible for some using that method, but I suspect not most. I'm pretty sure my hands wouldn't fit between the coils to do that. I recall having to remove the rear fender liner to get to the top of the shocks. If so, once you get that far, why not just remove the shock? Much easier to make a good precise cut with the bump stops removed IMHO.
it can depend on what springs you're running, I suppose. Coilover springs on struts with a lot of coils would be difficult, oem style is more feasible.

Rear shocks are easy enough to remove and no springs involved, so removing the shock might be a better.approach.

edit, btw I highly recommend these, 'if you have the means'
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/wusthof-classic-4-piece-steak-knife-set/
pretty good on steaks too

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Hey I didn't say the front was easy....I said it could be doable but also tricky depending on the springs. Depends on how good you are at removing the struts too versus it being worth it doing it that way or not.
And there's nothing "unsafe" about cutting them on the car, lol.

The rears...I literally just cut the bump stops with mine on the car, so I'm going from experience. You DEFINITELY don't have to go thru the trouble of removing them.
Cutting a zip tie (for the dust boot) is waaaay easier than going thru the work of removing the fender liner, getting to the shock bolts & disassembling the shock. It's not hard to remove the shock, but unnecessary IMO

Pics for clicks...cut the zip tie & drop the boot:
4F8CCD9B-550E-4DB4-885B-E31527ED8D9B by snobrdrdan, on Flickr

Lowered the bump stop:
CF3D6B46-35C4-40B5-9270-DF852F819540 by snobrdrdan, on Flickr

I took a Dremel & cut the white plastic ring off first. Then took a SHARP razor blade and cut the bump stop as I rotated it. Then cut a slit to remove it off the shock:
5CFD78AC-749B-41B9-877D-C95EAF45258E by snobrdrdan, on Flickr

Final result:
FB16C9A4-3EF3-4AC9-A216-E89E9563BC58 by snobrdrdan, on Flickr

Slid the dust boot back up and then zip tied it to the shock mount, like it was.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Hey I didn't say the front was easy....I said it could be doable but also tricky depending on the springs. Depends on how good you are at removing the struts too versus it being worth it doing it that way or not.

The rears...I literally just cut the bump stops with mine on the car, so I'm going from experience. You DEFINITELY don't have to go thru the trouble of removing them.
Cutting a zip tie (for the dust boot) is waaaay easier than going thru the work of removing the fender liner, getting to the shock bolts & disassembling the shock. It's not hard to remove the shock, but unnecessary IMO

Lowered the bump stop:

I took a Dremel & cut the white plastic ring off first. Then took a SHARP razor blade and cut the bump stop as I rotated it. Then cut a slit to remove it off the shock:

Final result:

Slid the dust boot back up and then zip tied it to the shock mount, like it was.

Props on that precise of a cut with the rear bump stops on the shocks! I would've expected a much messier cut via that method. I don't recall them being the easiest thing to cut through precisely even with them off the struts/shocks. Did you trim the fender liner to access the shocks that high up? I'll have to look at mine again, but I recall them covering more of the top portion of the shock than that? By unsafe, I just meant the possibility of cutting a finger as opposed to the bump stop, especially using a steak knife LOL.

BTW, I still need my fingers to count to ten, so can't afford to lose one, YMMV.

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI

Lowered the bump stop:

Final result:

Nice work! Good to know it can be done without removing the whole assembly, Definitely do not plan on doing that.

So far so good though no bottoming out

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Hey! After going back and forth on which springs to get (H&R OE, EMD, Eibach pro kit) I settled on the Pro kit. Super happy with the outcome, no signs of reverse rake and and the drop looks perfect. They still have to settle

Took me a good 6-7 hours to install w/ 2x4 method

Awesome. Is your car DSG or manual? Wondering if you do not have reverse rake because DSG? My buddy at work has Eibach (not sure if Pro kit) and he doesn't have reverse rake. I just cancelled my EMD because of backorder until August. Wondering if I should go with H&R or look into Eibach... Manual here so reverse rake miiiiiight be a concern.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Awesome. Is your car DSG or manual? Wondering if you do not have reverse rake because DSG? My buddy at work has Eibach (not sure if Pro kit) and he doesn't have reverse rake. I just cancelled my EMD because of backorder until August. Wondering if I should go with H&R or look into Eibach... Manual here so reverse rake miiiiiight be a concern.
Yes the DSG models don't have reverse rake like the manual does. This is true for for the VW Driver Gear springs I am running. If you are worried about rake just pick up a set of Audi TT rear spring pads and you'll be good to go.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I ordered the pro kit but decided to change it to sportline kit. I think I want a more noticeable drop than what I saw in your pics. Something where the upper wheel is slightly tucked into the fender. SLIGHTLY. I really want to see zero gap.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
just get bigger tires

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
It's cool. I'll rock it for hopefully a couple years and if I get tired of it, I'll sell them off and go a lil higher.

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Mine is DSG no reverse rake what soever. If anything the rear sits about .5 finger gap higher which i really like. I was going to go EMD as well but back ordered and worried about the drop being too low. The pro kit is actually lower than i anticipated but it does look great. It's a very noticeable drop from stock height

I ordered the pro kit but decided to change it to sportline kit. I think I want a more noticeable drop than what I saw in your pics. Something where the upper wheel is slightly tucked into the fender. SLIGHTLY. I really want to see zero gap.

Curious to see how yours turns out please let us all know. I can't picture myself going any lower. Really want a minimal but noticeable drop without having to worry too much about road conditions. Even with the pro kit definitely have to watch for rougher roads.

After more driving on all sorts of road the ride is noticeably stiffer on rougher roads and bigger dips/ potholes. Smooth and semi-smooth roads feel amazing.

Here it is after about a week after install and 100 miles later. Front is 1 finger gap and rear about 1.5

gti10.jpg