GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New ECS Stage 2 Clutch kits.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
400ft lbs is less than some stage 2 tunes produce, so this would be comparable to a TTRS clutch with the exception of this is SMF vs re using the DMF

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
With the TTRS costing $450, having a lifetime warranty and holding Stage 2 power levels with zero noise or drivability issues, why would anyone consider this from a company like ECS?

GTI/TDI

Passed Driver's Ed
Seems like a lot of hate for ECS? You guys have had bad experiences with the company I assume? I’ve never bought anything from them so I can’t comment, Like I said I got that email and watched the video and thought it was a cool new clutch system at a decent price.

Does that TTRS mentioned above come with everything needed for $450? Seems like the cheapest option avail? I wonder why the South Bend is easily double the price for stage 2 and triple that price almost for stage 3?

Like I said I was considering at South Bend stage III, because well might as well go all the way in case I decide to upgrade to stage 2 or 3 eventually and sell the JB4. But the Southbend is like $1600. I’m sure I could get the South Bend stage 2 daily for a bit cheaper but might as well only have to do it once.

Plus I need to understand a little more about single mass flywheel and dual mass, and the differences..

Crackness1

Ready to race!
Where can I find this?

FCP Euro. The price is closer to 900 as that $470 price doesn't include a flywheel (at almost $400) - which you may or may not need, depending on the condition of your stock (If you've never slipped, you're fine reusing, if you have, just change it while you're in there).

That's for an apples to apples comparison, as the other kits (southbend, DKM, ECS, etc) include a flywheel.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Plus I need to understand a little more about single mass flywheel and dual mass, and the differences..

One makes your gti sound like a bag of bolts being shaken on idle, and the other sounds more or less normal ! or like your name... GTI on one hand / TDI on the other. :D

GTI/TDI

Passed Driver's Ed
One makes your gti sound like a bag of bolts being shaken on idle, and the other sounds more or less normal ! or like your name... GTI on one hand / TDI on the other. :D

So stock is dual mass and most good aftermarket are single mass?? This chatter stuff I keep hearing about, is that what you mean? Dual mass chatter, single do not?

And yeah my wife now drives my ‘15 TDI Golf (DSG), she’s said a few times she misses her quiet Prius. Lol. I don’t, cut my payment in half and insurance is cheaper and now have a 11yr/164k powertrain warranty with the TDI (it’s only at 11.5k miles now lol)...so my daughter should be driving the TDI with warranty when she’s old enough and all through College hopefully, she’s only 11 :D

I traded my 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road for the TDI and the Diesel was my daily for like 6 months. Got a crazy deal on that ‘15 TDI in the beginning of the summer with only 4700 miles on it!! Wow! Granted The stage 2 “fix” kinda really killed the mpg’s when I had that done but it drives so nice and with the huge warranty I could never get rid of it. I fell into a great deal at Smith VW for my 18 GTI on a whim and they gave me an amazing trade on my wife’s Prius for the GTI. So yeah I have a both a TDI (DSG) and a GTI (Manual)..

Last edited:

GTI/TDI

Passed Driver's Ed
Lots of good info fellas. I appreciate it.

I’m just trying to get one or two steps in front of the curve cuz I’m pretty sure sooner than later my clutch is gonna shit the bed on my ‘18 GTI Running the JB4 (map 6 currently, never bothered logging or asking for the clutch saver map yet) and I only have just over 2300 miles on the car, with the last few tanks running JB4 on 93.

I have been cognizant to not floor it until past 3-4K rpm and I’m not pulling any drag race starts and not lugging higher gears in boost. I do like mid range pulls though and 3-4 & 4-5 pulls sometimes. Some 2-3 pulls when warranted and some spirited driving...Hopefully I dont kill this clutch in the meantime.

Maybe I should just wait till the clutch dies. Bunch of dudes on here saying they are running stage 1 or higher/ JB4 no issue with stock clutch it seems after reading lots of posts. :confused:

ebg18t

Ready to race!
Seems like a lot of hate for ECS? You guys have had bad experiences with the company I assume?

You must be new to the VW scene. ECS has a mixed track record, it’s kind of like a love:hate relationship. They can F-UP the simplest things. But sometimes they offer great deals on things till you get to the checkout page, then you get the bad news.. Shipping is thru the roof... or you get a great deal, reasonable shipping, then they cancel you order.

They are one of the few companies that have their own FB page dedicated to why people hate them.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1969390720044815/

GTI/TDI

Passed Driver's Ed
You must be new to the VW scene. ECS has a mixed track record, it’s kind of like a love:hate relationship. They can F-UP the simplest things. But sometimes they offer great deals on things till you get to the checkout page, then you get the bad news.. Shipping is thru the roof... or you get a great deal, reasonable shipping, then they cancel you order.

They are one of the few companies that have their own FB page dedicated to why people hate them.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1969390720044815/

Wow! Yeah, I guess I’m am new to the “tuning” side of VW. I did own a fully stock sportwagon a bunch of years ago, the wife drove that one too.

But now I own 2 VW’s so I guess I’m trying to get in the loop. I have not seen any negative reviews on this fourm about ECS so thanks for the heads up.

Besides a slew of trucks I have owned my share of hot hatches. 2 Mazdaspeed 3’s and a Focus SVT, and a Charger RT Plus and a bunch of other regular hatches and sedans, toyota’s And like 5 Subaru’s between those but never really mod’d past exhaust and intake or so. Hope this clears thing up :)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have no issue with ECS, we’re both originally from Ohio so they’ve got their fair share of my business over the last decade. I just call it like I see it...well, sometimes, I bite my tongue most of the time because it’s not a good look to call out competitors. As far as clutches go I have no stake in any option so TTRS based for less than 400ftlbs and Dkm for more.

TTRS clutches can be had via DIY or several companies put together a kit. You’d have to be going out of your way with massive amounts of abuse to hurt the OEM dual mass so I’d basically rule out the need to replace it. My personal car saw 40k APR stage 1 on the stock clutch and even after dozens of slipping incidents it has the factory machined grooves in DMF like new

GTI/TDI

Passed Driver's Ed
I have no issue with ECS, we’re both originally from Ohio so they’ve got their fair share of my business over the last decade. I just call it like I see it...well, sometimes, I bite my tongue most of the time because it’s not a good look to call out competitors. As far as clutches go I have no stake in any option so TTRS based for less than 400ftlbs and Dkm for more.

TTRS clutches can be had via DIY or several companies put together a kit. You’d have to be going out of your way with massive amounts of abuse to hurt the OEM dual mass so I’d basically rule out the need to replace it. My personal car saw 40k APR stage 1 on the stock clutch and even after dozens of slipping incidents it has the factory machined grooves in DMF like new

Thank you for the info. Plus a voice of reason on the Company I originally posted about. You seem very well respected on the Fourms and I love your new CBE, Quality work brother! If I looked you up right I also watched a bunch of your videos on YouTube and subscribed ;)

You have or had 40K on the stock Clutch at stage 1, that’s encouraging! How hard were you on your car for that time? I guess I should stop stressing so much about it since I’m not beating the ever loving dog shit out of my car daily..Lol. Plus I’m not new at all to Manual cars.