GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New DSG Transmission at 52,000 miles

Schennsational

A week or so ago I started hearing a whining sound instantly when my car shifted into 5th gear and would be loud on the gas and slightly noticible off the gas. When shifting into 6 i would still hear it on the gas, but less noticeable.

Took it into my dealership and they spent 3 days trying to diagnose it, while sending audio clips to the techs in Germany. A couple days later I get a call saying VW has approved a new transmission and transmission cooler under warranty. It will take 2-3 weeks to be delivered from Germany and another week or so for installation.

What's strange is they never really told me what was actually wrong. Any guesses? Did I set the record for lowest miles on MK7 GTI that's getting a new DSG transmission?

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
A week or so ago I started hearing a whining sound instantly when my car shifted into 5th gear and would be loud on the gas and slightly noticible off the gas. When shifting into 6 i would still hear it on the gas, but less noticeable.

Took it into my dealership and they spent 3 days trying to diagnose it, while sending audio clips to the techs in Germany. A couple days later I get a call saying VW has approved a new transmission and transmission cooler under warranty. It will take 2-3 weeks to be delivered from Germany and another week or so for installation.

What's strange is they never really told me what was actually wrong. Any guesses? Did I set the record for lowest miles on MK7 GTI that's getting a new DSG transmission?
How loud and was it a high pitched whine?

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE

Mod list for your car, if any? Did you have an extended warranty? What model year is your vehicle?

Schennsational

The whine is kind of hard to describe.. it sounded more like a belt whine to me.

Car is stock besides a 034 Motorsport insert. It's a 2017 and has a 200,000 mile powertrain warranty.

I have some audio clips that I will try to upload today.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Metro424

Passed Driver's Ed
Putting fluid in helps avoid that 😂
I have a feeling that’s what took mine out hahahah.

But to the OP mine would make the same whine in certain gears and ended up being the mechatronic unit if i remember correctly. also I was quoted 3 weeks it ended up being 6 weeks from start to finish including shipping from Germany and installation. BUT on a bright note it’s been trouble free for the last 30k ha.