GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New cv axles?

Ljavi

Car(s)
2021 Volkswagen GTI
Hey guys,
2021 GTI, the car has been driving pretty wonky the past couple weeks so I checked it out today.
The passenger side inner cv axle has a bunch of grease around it and the driver side cv axle is making a clicking/clunking noise when you rotate the rotor

Does anyone know if I need new cv axles or if that noise is normal?

Car is in park with the front lifted up

Attachments

• 726AD037-4389-4F71-BFBF-C2377BAD71B9.jpeg
    726AD037-4389-4F71-BFBF-C2377BAD71B9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 117

Ljavi

Car(s)
2021 Volkswagen GTI
What process did you use for the spring install? Depending on how you did it can def be the reason it’s happening
I unbolted the passenger side inner cv and had to do the 2x4 method on the driver side because the inner cv joint doesn’t have any bolts

9/10 chance that it was my fault when I installed the springs

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yeah it looks like it’s leaking at the seam between the axle flange and the output shaft flange - Is say first step would be to unbolt re fill clean surfaces and bolt back, clean it and see if it’s still leaking. That could be excess from when you unbolted it and that side of the axle sat as the low point while you did the work

Ljavi

Car(s)
2021 Volkswagen GTI
Yeah it looks like it’s leaking at the seam between the axle flange and the output shaft flange - Is say first step would be to unbolt re fill clean surfaces and bolt back, clean it and see if it’s still leaking. That could be excess from when you unbolted it and that side of the axle sat as the low point while you did the work
I’ll give it a shot, do you know any good ways to test if the axle is shot??