GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New CPO GTI... safelite cut my frame..

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So they had to replace the windshield to pass CPO and soon getting it redone because of fitment issues they found this.

They are warranting it but I'm incredibly scared because it seems I can't seem to keep VW out of a mechanic shop! I've only had the car a week! (IM STILL ON TEMP TAGS DAMMIT!)
IMG_20210120_171807.jpg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Welcome to the forums and congrats on the new ride!

Just keep in mind it has absolutely nothing to do with VW, just a lazy previous owner and sloppy glass installation.

Sure it’s inconvenient, but that exact thing could’ve been the case with any used vehicle

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Welcome to the forums and congrats on the new ride!

Just keep in mind it has absolutely nothing to do with VW, just a lazy previous owner and sloppy glass installation.

Sure it’s inconvenient, but that exact thing could’ve been the case with any used vehicle
Well the damage occurred from the windshield installation that safelite and VW did. When they cut it off because of excess silicone bleeding into the cabin they found that.

I'm just unsure if it can be fixed

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Well the damage occurred from the windshield installation that safelite and VW did. When they cut it off because of excess silicone bleeding into the cabin they found that.

I'm just unsure if it can be fixed

Calm down man, I am sure they will take care of you. At the end if the day it is just a car and the stress associated with trying to keep it perfect is exhausting. Cool your beans and enjoy the ride.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
This is an interesting post since maybe a year ago Safelite did this to another GTI on Reddit. General consensus was this is NOT a straight forward fix since it involves structural steel that is part of the firewall and A pillars. Not a component for welding and some other items.

I think the end result was Safelite/Insurance bought the totaled car. Make sure a competent body shop evaluates this or ask one and show them the picture.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/bcjh4n

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
That's nuts...

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Once I took my two door MK6 GTI to get the windows tinted, and when they laid the tint over the outside of the back windows to cut it to size, they cut the glass so deep. You could see/feel the cut marks all on the outside of the glass. I had to get the tint shop to agree to replace both back windows and refund me. Then while the glass shop was removing the back glass, the cutter tool ripped through the headliner. I had to get the glass shop to agree to replace the headliner. At first they didn't and said they could glue/repair it. The "repair" was them using sharpie on the white cotton from inside the headliner that was showing. THEN I had to go back to the glass shop and threaten to sue for a new headliner properly installed by a VW shop before they agreed to pay for it. However, they only did so after I signed an NDA saying I wouldn't mention their shops name.

Overall it was a two month long process and now my worst fear on any of my cars is something happening to the glass. 😁

Last edited:

cb1111

Once I took my two door MK6 GTI to get the windows tinted, and when they laid the tint over the outside of the back windows to cut it to size, they cut the glass so deep. You could see/feel the cut marks all on the outside of the glass. I had to get the tint shop to agree to replace both back windows and refund me. Then while the glass shop was removing the back glass, the cutter tool ripped through the headliner. I had to get the glass shop to agree to replace the headliner. At first they didn't and said they could glue/repair it. The "repair" was them using sharpie on the white cotton from inside the headliner that was showing. THEN I had to go back to the glass shop and threaten to sue for a new headliner properly installed by a VW shop before they agreed to pay for it. However, they only did so after I signed an NDA saying I wouldn't mention their shops name.

Overall it was a two month long process and now my worst fear on any of my cars is something happening to the glass. 😁
So what shop did the glass?

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
That GTI story is what led me to making this post.

I went to Drivers village to get a quote from the body shop and I regretted going there since they were arguing that "you cant see it, how would you know??" I only went there because a freak snow storm limited options.

About $2,701 w/ tax to WELD the damage and fix paint. I have had the worse luck as of late and I fear how this will go.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That GTI story is what led me to making this post.

I went to Drivers village to get a quote from the body shop and I regretted going there since they were arguing that "you cant see it, how would you know??" I only went there because a freak snow storm limited options.

About $2,701 w/ tax to WELD the damage and fix paint. I have had the worse luck as of late and I fear how this will go.
You're not paying for it are you?

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
If possible I would get a second opinion. Look for a VW certified body shop. The difference between a certified shop and anyone else is night and day. They are held to extremely stringent standards in order to keep their certification and inspected very regularly.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
If possible I would get a second opinion. Look for a VW certified body shop. The difference between a certified shop and anyone else is night and day. They are held to extremely stringent standards in order to keep their certification and inspected very regularly.

Tell that to the Porsche/Audi/Tesla certified shop with 50+ years in the business who did the repair to my car when I got rear ended.

It was just the bumper that was affected, but when they first gave me the car back I literally laughed at them because the paint match was horrible and they didn’t bother to install the tail lights or hatch lights correctly (they blended to the hatch so the lights came out)

I also found they damaged my front bumper so they actually agreed to fix, fill the license plate holes and respray that at no charge, but only after I caught two of their techs on my dash cam sitting in my car taking a break just running the AC and having an extremely racist 15 minute conversation in my car. Two minorities spouting off vile stuff about other minorities and their management team. Ultimately those guys weren’t even fired, even when they offered to resign.

I’ve had bad body shop experiences in my life quality of work wise from other “certified“ shops, too.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Tell that to the Porsche/Audi/Tesla certified shop with 50+ years in the business who did the repair to my car when I got rear ended.

It was just the bumper that was affected, but when they first gave me the car back I literally laughed at them because the paint match was horrible and they didn’t bother to install the tail lights or hatch lights correctly (they blended to the hatch so the lights came out)

I also found they damaged my front bumper so they actually agreed to fix, fill the license plate holes and respray that at no charge, but only after I caught two of their techs on my dash cam sitting in my car taking a break just running the AC and having an extremely racist 15 minute conversation in my car. Two minorities spouting off vile stuff about other minorities and their management team. Ultimately those guys weren’t even fired, even when they offered to resign.

I’ve had bad body shop experiences in my life quality of work wise from other “certified“ shops, too.
Sorry to hear about your poor experience. I wasn’t trying to imply that just because they’re certified that they’re perfect. They are manufacturer trained on proper repair, especially structural.

I have dealt with body shops on a professional and personal level. I have seen fly by night operations and long term ones that churn out both good and bad work. That includes dealer based shops as well. Reviews and customer experience go a long way to reinforcing the actual work ethic of a shop. I have one that use now that is certified in about 8 manufacturers and has repaired mine and my wife’s car and will recommend them without hesitation.

I’m sure everyone has their stories about body shops. More bad than good. If this is a structural issue the OP is dealing with I would hope a VW certified shop would be able to tell him that.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
actually...Drivers village is a CERTIFIED body shop :LOL::cry: