GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

new car smell

videoman

Passed Driver's Ed
does anyone work in valeting departments of dealers?
I am looking for a product to give me the new car smell that dealers use. I assume its some sort of spray that lasts a couple of days or something, mine did last a while but now its gone on my 2016 car. so many products around boasting new car smell, but lots of bad reviews for them too.

overmonk

Passed Driver's Ed
I can't say it will restore that 'new car' smell, but I use Ozium to eliminate odors and they have a 'new car' scent. It's a few dollars for an aerosol can - its worth a try. Pro-tip - don't breathe it in. Spray it and leave it alone for a while, or air the car out.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
ive hunted a long time for such a scent. the only one i like, and it does mimic that actual new car smell closer than others, not just providing a 'clean/perfume' smell but more mimics the smell of plastics, vinyl and adhesives we all adore, is chemical guys new car smell.

videoman

Passed Driver's Ed
Dealers don't add a scent. That's the smell of adhesive, vinyls and fabric.
perhaps i didn't make my self clear, this was a second hand car that smelt new inside when i bought it. ( 4yrs old ) lasted about a week. Although ironically as the sun has been shining recently here in blightly the smell did seem to return for a couple of days.

videoman

Passed Driver's Ed
ive hunted a long time for such a scent. the only one i like, and it does mimic that actual new car smell closer than others, not just providing a 'clean/perfume' smell but more mimics the smell of plastics, vinyl and adhesives we all adore, is chemical guys new car smell.
indeed i have seen many on ebay but some have terrible reviews. Hence my assumption of good enough for the dealers good enough for me

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^that's the one i mentioned. its actually the best one in my opinion - unlike most 'new car' smells, which are just perfume smells, this one does a better job at emulating the 'chemical' smells that we all admire lol.

OP its definitely worth a try. it lasts a good while too - in my experience though, as with most, spray under the seats or areas you don't touch, because it does make the carpet or whatever you spray it at feel a little wierd (not quite sticky but doesn't dry with no trace of a feel to it)

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
303 Tire Conditioner has a nice but strong smell.
Wasted on tires being outside the car, but if you want to have that new tire smell when you leave and arrive at the car, worth a try.

Image result for 303 tire shine

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Chemical Guys makes a "new car smell" air freshener...

https://www.chemicalguys.com/new-car-smell-air-freshener/new-car-scent.html
Probably smells more like a high school football team's locker room.

It doesnt really smell like 'new car' but it does a good job of eliminating bad odors in your car. My fiesta ST that I got with 40 k miles on it smelled like wet dog inside. After using that product it really just had no smell which was fine by me. But it did a better job than the 6 dryer sheets.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
^that's the one i mentioned. its actually the best one in my opinion - unlike most 'new car' smells, which are just perfume smells, this one does a better job at emulating the 'chemical' smells that we all admire lol.

OP its definitely worth a try. it lasts a good while too - in my experience though, as with most, spray under the seats or areas you don't touch, because it does make the carpet or whatever you spray it at feel a little wierd (not quite sticky but doesn't dry with no trace of a feel to it)

Nothing like inhaling those chemical smells. ?

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
It’s not a new car smell but I’m a big fan of modded euros air fresheners. They look cool and make the car smell very clean! Definitely my favorite so far that I’ve found

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Chemical Guys new car scent is legit. No spray is going to last more than a couple days though. Your best bet is to keep the car clean and dry. Start with a good carpet and seat scrub and extraction to get rid of any sunk-in odors. Then use a light cleaner to wipe down every surface, including the headliner (don’t scrub it!). If needed, do an AC refresher service that cleans the coils and the AC system, then pop in a fresh cabin filter. If the car sits for more than a couple days, consider getting little bags of charcoal to help absorb odors and moisture when you’re not in it.

Last edited: