GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Car Run-In?

badboybubby

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello,

I'm picking up my new Golf Mk7 5 Door 2.0 TDI SE 6 Speed next Thursday and wondered if you could help me with a couple of questions?

Firstly, is there such a thing as a 'run in' period for a Golf Diesel, ie, should I keep the REVs low for a certain amount of time / mileage?

Secondly, does anybody know the maximum roof load capacity? I'm looking at getting a roof box so if anybody has any recommendations for a good one I'd also be grateful.

Thanks

Scott:)

Barb351

Ready to race!
Running in is just being sensible. Normal driving, but be careful with the revs you use when the engine is cold. Not using high revs, but varying the rev range. I did this for the first 1000 miles and my car did not and has not used any oil.

GC854

Ready to race!
The handbook does state there is a running in period. I do not have it in front of me but from memory it states do not use more than 3/5ths of the max revs for the first 1000 miles. (It may be 1600km). It does state that the manner in which the car is driven will dictate future, particularly cold engine, performance. Please check out your handbooks. The dealers are wrong if they are telling folk there is no running in period.

Mr Bee

Passed Driver's Ed
When I bought my Mk4 back in 2003 the dealer said the same thing when I asked about running in - "Oh no need, just get in and drive it like normal straight away", so they've been telling people this for a long time.

I just followed whatever it said in the manual, believing VW's printed manual over the dealer salesman!

DainBramaged

Ready to race!
The manual speaks about letting the engine bed in and for the first 1000KM (600 Mi)
• Do not depress the accelerator fully.
• Do not drive the vehicle at more than 2/3 of the
top engine speed.
• Do not drive with a trailer attached.

and between 1000KM - 1500KM (600 - 940 Mi) gradually increase driving performance to top speed and highest engine speed.

It also warns you not to drive at a too low engine speed too. Basically just be sensible for the first 600 miles and then gently ramp it up.

vdubpwr

Ready to race!
I heard if you drive with the passenger window open and the doors unlocked the break in can be complete by just 300 mi.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
LOL vdubpwr, that's what I heard also. 300 miles then close the passenger window and you are good to go. Works for me and my dealer is 100 miles away, so 1/3 broken in after the trip home.

vdubpwr

Ready to race!
LOL vdubpwr, that's what I heard also. 300 miles then close the passenger window and you are good to go. Works for me and my dealer is 100 miles away, so 1/3 broken in after the trip home.

Don't forget to lock the doors also, to fully complete break in period.

KGB7

Better to lock the doors or you most definitely will have a break in!

Very clever.

Youll enjoy Pearls Before Swine comic strip.