GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New car but with stone chips. Walk away or buy

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
I’ve been looking at a gti. The whole is amaculate and in the right colour and a 3 door the only thing I noticed was this little chip above windscreen

Attachments

• 06785119-81C6-4DFB-A500-D5F446AB1470.jpeg
    06785119-81C6-4DFB-A500-D5F446AB1470.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 836
  • CD8415C6-0801-45B3-A47C-FC1BE63B0FC0.jpeg
    CD8415C6-0801-45B3-A47C-FC1BE63B0FC0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 447

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Looks as tho a hint of rust in the chip. The car is 2.5 years old and I expect a chip or two. It’s just the rust thing bugs the sh*t out of me and I’ve walked away from cars like this in the past because of this kind of thing.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Unless you wrap the entire car...you're going to find rock chips...especially on the front of the car. If the rest of the car is clean...then just use some touch up paint.

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Unless you wrap the entire car...you're going to find rock chips...especially on the front of the car. If the rest of the car is clean...then just use some touch up paint.
Cheers for reply it’s everything I was looking for and that’s the only mark on it so should be picking up today 🙂

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
It’s a modern car with modern water based paint that’s not as durable as the old type cellulose paint, so stone chips will happen, especially if you’re going to use the car as a daily driver. On any car that’s a couple of years old, I’d be very surprised if it’s not got at least a few stone chips, unless the previous owner has kept it locked away and not used it, and what’s the point in doing that? If the car meets your requirements, then go for it. The stone chips can be sorted.

One of the first things I buy when I change my car is some touch up paint so when (not ’if’, as stone chips will happen) it starts picking up stone chips, I’m ready and prepared to attend to them.

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
It’s a modern car with modern water based paint that’s not as durable as the old type cellulose paint, so stone chips will happen, especially if you’re going to use the car as a daily driver. On any car that’s a couple of years old, I’d be very surprised if it’s not got at least a few stone chips, unless the previous owner has kept it locked away and not used it, and what’s the point in doing that? If the car meets your requirements, then go for it. The stone chips can be sorted.

One of the first things I buy when I change my car is some touch up paint so when (not ’if’, as stone chips will happen) it starts picking up stone chips, I’m ready and prepared to attend to them.
Yeh I hear what u saying and it don’t bother me as such, it was just the little bit of rust inside the chip and where it was above the windscreen what bothered me the most. Any how I’m just about to leave to pick her up now so I’ll have that chip touched in by this afternoon lol

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
If you drive a car, it will get chipped, just too much debris on roads today.
I used to go crazy over chips, but now I am like "I want to drive my car and chips are part of the deal". I just touch up and move on.
I'd have to trade my car in every year if I wanted a car with no chips. Either that or not drive it, lol.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Congrats on the new ride. Just take care of that minor work and you are good for years.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Clean the area of the chip out with one of those fiber glass rust removal pens, touch up, and be happy. It'll happen again, cars get chips.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Throw a big rock on the hood. You won’t see that minuscule chip anymore.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
well its not a new car. new to you, but yea any car that see's the road is going to have some rock chips. touch up paint or learn to live with them.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I live in the Salt belt and they often lay down rock salt the size of nickels and quarters, which when kicked up by a lifted pickup with no mud flaps will shatter windshields.

I have noticed my wife's car always picks up more chips than my car, and I think that has to do with driving style. I avoid highways and other people. If I have to be on the road with a bunch of people, I'm not going slowly, but I carry a speed where I'll never end up within 40ft of the person in front of me. My wife tails people and that's part of why her front bumper has hundreds of tiny chips.