GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Borla Cat-Back For Golf R

BodegaBay

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
...Please also note that I spoke to Borla a few times throughout this process and they informed me that there are other tip options available. You just need to indicate what you want on your order with the company of your choice. I guess this may be a perk of ordering manufacturer direct.

BTW - the press video Borla put out for the MK7.5 is horrendous. It's a very poor representation of what the exhaust actually sounds like. The video I made is a much better example. I'm not sure what happened with the sound or editing in the video they produced, but it needs some work. As for the tip option - I feel the double walled / rolled polished edge is a little flashy. If you are going for the slammed, big wheel, airbag look I think it's 100% the best route to go. I was actually leaning towards the double walled 4" design like what comes on the AWE & XForce system, but after installing the 3.5" slash cut single walled I feel it looks a bit more elegant. The tips also look bigger and fill out the bumper better than I originally expected.

Here is a better shot of the rear. This should give you a bit more perspective. I feel like the press car that Borla used had smaller tips for some reason. Oh, and there really is no drone. None. The exhaust is loud on the outside, launch control sounds insane, but quiet on the inside of the car, especially on the highway.

View attachment 184635

Thanks for relaying your findings and experience, Bradley. Absolutely love the sounds so far. I didn't realize you can option different tips when buying direct w/Borla; I'll have to check it out. My comments regarding single walled tips was mainly due to how they'd look after the insides are coated with carbon. I see too many cars with black carbon insides making the single walled tips barely noticeable when looking directly behind. The rolled stock tips at least give semblance of quad tips being there. I do have to say, Borla's press pics made those slash angle cut single walled tips look pretty nice. And I agree, they do look a tad smaller than the ones on yours. When you have a chance, would you mind taking 3/4 and side views of the tips from the back?

BodegaBay

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'd rather have a resonator because I don't want a super loud car. My car with the full APR TBE was way too loud for my tastes. I sold the APR cat back and reverted to stock with the center resonator deleted and it sounds perfect

And there's the dilemma. If you're going to upgrade that down pipe down the road, the non-resonated CBE might have a different (i.e. louder) sound after that change.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'd rather have a resonator because I don't want a super loud car. My car with the full APR TBE was way too loud for my tastes. I sold the APR cat back and reverted to stock with the center resonator deleted and it sounds perfect

A resonator doesn't quiet the exhaust. It only cancels drone. Just look at the inside of a resonator. It's straight through.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Thanks for relaying your findings and experience, Bradley. Absolutely love the sounds so far. I didn't realize you can option different tips when buying direct w/Borla; I'll have to check it out. My comments regarding single walled tips was mainly due to how they'd look after the insides are coated with carbon. I see too many cars with black carbon insides making the single walled tips barely noticeable when looking directly behind. The rolled stock tips at least give semblance of quad tips being there. I do have to say, Borla's press pics made those slash angle cut single walled tips look pretty nice. And I agree, they do look a tad smaller than the ones on yours. When you have a chance, would you mind taking 3/4 and side views of the tips from the back?

Here are the pics you requested:

R 3 Quarter Shot.jpg

Attachments

• R Side Shot.jpg
    R Side Shot.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 225

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
A resonator doesn't quiet the exhaust. It only cancels drone. Just look at the inside of a resonator. It's straight through.

Yeah, I mentioned the same in my last post. A resonator is really more for eliminating specific frequencies, not necessarily to quiet the system.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
There is no drone without the resonator on my Borla, so not sure why one would need one to begin with if it wasn't to tone down the overall sound output... (?) Quite a mystery.

Maybe like those $25 ECU enhancement 'chips' with nothing but jump wires inside.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Depends on the design of the resonator. On my Milltek system it defiantly quieted down the sound output. It may be straight through, but it also killed the sharpness of the exhaust sounds that it had when it was non-res.

This video shows the difference between the two:

Again, different exhaust manufacturers do indeed do things differently. so it truly depends on the design of the resonator as to weather or not it will quiet the exhaust note or not.

Rizzo1

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Hey Bradley,

Would you mind posting a drive-by video of your car with the exhaust? I'm very interested in the non-res Borla one from your video. The sound-clip posted by Borla sounds awful!. Are you still loving it? Thanks!

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Hey Bradley,

Would you mind posting a drive-by video of your car with the exhaust? I'm very interested in the non-res Borla one from your video. The sound-clip posted by Borla sounds awful!. Are you still loving it? Thanks!

I recently had someone on YouTube also ask me if I would do fly-by vid as well. I really don't have any kind of camera other than my phone, but I guess I can give it a shot. Just need to find a good spot to film.

I'm absolutely still loving the system. I'd say go for the non-res system. It's really not that loud, even with the valves open. It does get pretty loud on WOT and DSG pops are very pronounced. But it just sounds good, which is what I wanted. Not loud and obnoxious all the time, but loud enough when you want it to be. It's a good fit for the R. For the price, I think it's the best exhaust on the market.

Rizzo1

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I recently had someone on YouTube also ask me if I would do fly-by vid as well. I really don't have any kind of camera other than my phone, but I guess I can give it a shot. Just need to find a good spot to film.

I'm absolutely still loving the system. I'd say go for the non-res system. It's really not that loud, even with the valves open. It does get pretty loud on WOT and DSG pops are very pronounced. But it just sounds good, which is what I wanted. Not loud and obnoxious all the time, but loud enough when you want it to be. It's a good fit for the R. For the price, I think it's the best exhaust on the market.

That would be awesome, I'm sure there are others who would appreciate it too. I cannot find any other videos of the new Borla exhaust anywhere (minus the crappy one done by Borla themselves, SMH). Glad to hear you're still enjoying the exhaust! I'm probably going to install a catted dp down the road so I'm not sure if I want to get the non-res system in case it's too raspy/loud with it.