GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Borla Cat-Back For Golf R

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
*Snip*

Sorry ATR are you saying weld a larger pipe into the original suitcase muffler to get a better sound?

I have not worked out why the Catbacks are so expensive for our cars, im sure alot more people would be inclined to purchase them if the markup wasnt so high
Yes, it's something I never considered, but once you start putting power down having all the help you can get by opening up the exhaust a bit will help. As noted in my post have a muffler shop cut out the old pipe going into the muffler and weld in a 3" pipe along with mandrel bent or pie cut piping. This shouldn't cost more then a few hundred bucks. Should also get you better sound output without being too over the top.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
EQT is pushing huge power on their car thru the stock cat back. Dyno tests have repeatedly shown that cat backs for our cars are worthless as far as power gains.

Now whether it's worth $1500-2000+ for a different sound is entirely up to the owner

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
EQT is pushing huge power on their car thru the stock cat back. Dyno tests have repeatedly shown that cat backs for our cars are worthless as far as power gains.

Now whether it's worth $1500-2000+ for a different sound is entirely up to the owner
I wouldn't call them worthless...
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...d-aftermarket-catback-make-more-power.330456/

As noted in that thread there are gains to be had with a catback. And from the looks if it I'm thinking there could be a bit more gains if he had a 3" outlet at the downpipe instead of the restricted 2.5 that goes to the stock catback.

I'm not going to argue with you on the price of the catbacks for our cars is pretty nuts for the amount of power increase that you get. I will say that once you're into hybrid or full frame turbos a higher flowing larger catback will see more gains.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
So let’s get the aesthetics and sound out of the way. I think as said that’s all in the eye of the beholder.

If one was wanting a max effort setup when it counts, just do a 3” cutout at the downpipe for a whole shit pile less money. Open it
Up when it counts.

Otherwise 99% of the time I’m driving to Publix for groceries and would like to not get a head ache or be an asshat through my neighborhood, but that’s just me.

On top of all that, it’s getting to the point at some tracks and autoX where sound levels matter too.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
So let’s get the aesthetics and sound out of the way. I think as said that’s all in the eye of the beholder.

If one was wanting a max effort setup when it counts, just do a 3” cutout at the downpipe for a whole shit pile less money. Open it
Up when it counts.

Otherwise 99% of the time I’m driving to Publix for groceries and would like to not get a head ache or be an asshat through my neighborhood, but that’s just me.

On top of all that, it’s getting to the point at some tracks and autoX where sound levels matter too.
That's a cool idea, but as you said some autocross events and race tracks do indeed have sound restrictions in place... So a cutout after the downpipe would be a bad idea.

Again, if sound is a concern just modify your stock muffler to increase the size of the single pipe going into the back of the muffler from 2.5" to 3".

May also need to add a resonator to reduce the drone since the stock resonator is also 2.5 in and out... Not sure if that could be remade to be 3" without a lot of fabrication work. Would likely be easier to just put a pre-made resonator in place.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I've actually reused stock mufflers and retrofitted them to 3" a few times, and it usually worked out. In particular I used to do them on the side for Toyota MR2's who needed to look and sound stock in California.. example below. I dunno, I'm not trying to come in a thread and yuck on peoples yum. I'm just a bit jaded since I can weld, own welder(s) and chuckle at the price some of these vendors are asking.... with not a lot more than noise to show for it if we're being honest.

Reactions: ATR

davcohen

Ready to race!
I am not going after a Catback for performance more to give it a nice noise, my main interested was really whether any of these Catbacks would do or whether its worth hunting down a valved Catback to reduce noise when not wanted

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Dont get the Borla if you want a quiet engine start (and just stick to stock). Even with the valve closed it is significantly louder than stock.

I have much louder cars and my neighbors say they can hear my cars when I pull out, but it doesn't bother them. It's no louder than say a truck driving by.. actually much quieter, they said.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
There's an advantage to having a catless DP and only a Vibrant resonator besides the small HP gain and that is I deliver pharmacy and several of the houses I deliver to the person is already standing at their door before I ring the doorbell because they said they could hear me coming. Saves me time. 😂

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Well then, now I feel like crap....

Oh man don't feel bad. You didn't know. What you said was funny and I wish that I was delivering that instead. It's the only thing that I hate about my business especially the deliveries directly to the patient. When I deliver to a facility it doesn't feel as personal.