GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New APR Intake System for Only $189.95!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ah okay I didn't realize it came from the oil. Seems companies like K&N offer the oil in all kinds of different colors, including black, so I guess I could clean and re-oil the filter as soon as I got it, to dye it black instead. Unfortunately the K&N black oil is out of stock in most places but I'm sure there's some somewhere. If you could offer the filters in different colors (or just un-oiled), might be cool? If anyone wants something a bit more subtle, they could order the oil separately
The black oil would make it much more difficult to see when your filter is dirty. And after the first time you clean the filter the red will be gone and you can change colors then but pick a color that will still show if the filter is dirty.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
The black oil would make it much more difficult to see when your filter is dirty. And after the first time you clean the filter the red will be gone and you can change colors then but pick a color that will still show if the filter is dirty.
You make a good point. I guess I'd go for grey then.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Don't know if the block off plate is a better solution but yes it's less expensive. No I didn't log before and after temperatures. Just know from driving this car for 142,000 miles. Especially in Phoenix when it's over 110*. I just posted a link to something that I know works.
That's guessing.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's guessing.
No it isn't. I'm in my car 8 hours per day so I certainly know the IAT's. Before the ECS system on a 110* day my IAT wouldn't come down nearly as fast. If you have the stock system just look into it and you'll see that hardly any air is directed to the air filter especially with an open intake like I have. Now 100% of the air goes directly to the air filter.

ZoomnRx

'99 VR6
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
Does the SAI breather filter come with it or need to order separate? If so, do you have them in stock @Arin@APR ? Hoping to order this weekend.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
No it isn't. I'm in my car 8 hours per day so I certainly know the IAT's. Before the ECS system on a 110* day my IAT wouldn't come down nearly as fast. If you have the stock system just look into it and you'll see that hardly any air is directed to the air filter especially with an open intake like I have. Now 100% of the air goes directly to the air filter.
How quickly you move, how hot the turbocharger is, how heat soaked the IC is, how heat soaked the intake manifold is, what the outside air temperature is, will all affect the intake air temperature. You're proposing that you are able to account for all of those as you drive around by glancing at the IAT reading? And how often have you swapped between the ECS part and stock?

Air moves into the filter due to vacuum the engine and turbo create. The stock part directs air just as the ECS part does. The only issue with the stock part is that it is open at the back and can pull in air from the engine compartment, which the Euro block off plate resolves. Other than that the stock part and ECS perform the same function.

Getting somewhat back on topic, this APR intake is going to be fed air no differently that I can tell whether using the stock part with Euro block off or ECS part.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Other than that the stock part and ECS perform the same function
ECS also has the driver side open. Stock part you have to open it up. I have the EU block off plate and have opened the drivers side and installed the ECS scoops. I can’t prove this does anything but makes sense to me that it would help direct cooler air to my open filter better than the stock part did from the factory.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Filters: Keep in mind the one we use is absolutely massive. More surface area. Less restriction. Switching to a smaller unit would be a step back, but you guys can do as you see fit.
For guys that want to get a dry filter it would be nice if you specify the size.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

FB-GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI -> Golf R
Filters: Keep in mind the one we use is absolutely massive. More surface area. Less restriction. Switching to a smaller unit would be a step back, but you guys can do as you see fit.
For a company that loves to toot it's own horn about it's engineering prowess there's a lot of generalizing surrounding this product, except the flow test.

The flow numbers are exactly the same as the carbon fiber design, as is the description of the results, did you test both or assume they would be the same and republish the results from the carbon fiber intake for this PEX intake?