GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New APR Intake System for Only $189.95!

FB-GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI -> Golf R
That wasn’t the case with him on this forum… while I don’t agree that it was just for him to be banned he lacked tact in his responses and would make “indirect” personal jabs when he was questioned.
Here's the Ghost story.

Wasn't letting a vendor get away with disparaging a competitor's product without facts, another vendor that isn't on the forum.
Moderator stepped in to say questioning the forum vendor was trolling.
Took the matter off the forum to address the matter directly with the moderator.
Next time logged onto the site to find a message from the moderator saying "don't argue with the mods, leave". Account was then banned.

@El_bigote_AJ are you implying you are always tactful?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Here's the Ghost story.

Wasn't letting a vendor get away with disparaging a competitor's product without facts, another vendor that isn't on the forum.
Moderator stepped in to say questioning the forum vendor was trolling.
Took the matter off the forum to address the matter directly with the moderator.
Next time logged onto the site to find a message from the moderator saying "don't argue with the mods, leave". Account was then banned.

@El_bigote_AJ are you implying you are always tactful?
V. interesting - again, folks don't like when independent testing shows something different than is desired.....

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
How big a difference does say 50cfm make in reality? I feel like people are overanalyzing a part that really doesn't make a big performance difference to begin with. We are all almost all here for the decidedly unscientific whooshy whooshy and bling bling to dollars ratio. How many people are really chasing fractional performance gains?

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
If you guys really want to buy the best in-take on the market that makes the most powah….

tigeo

Autocross Champion
How big a difference does say 50cfm make in reality? I feel like people are overanalyzing a part that really doesn't make a big performance difference to begin with. We are all almost all here for the decidedly unscientific whooshy whooshy and bling bling to dollars ratio. How many people are really chasing fractional performance gains?
I don't disagree - open intake is an open intake to me, they all sound about the same and provide more air flow over stock. For the price, this is a fantastic one.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I considered different things like open vs closed. I knew I wanted closed. I also didn't want any bends, the filter had to be sticking straight to the front instead of towards the fender like this one. I wanted to be able to keep using the inlet pipe and hose I already had too, so nothing that replaced those parts. I didn't like how some intakes re-used the oem inlet duct, so I wanted something that replaced that. I went through 3 intakes on my mk6. I spent more time than I want to admit looking at intakes for my mk7. All I really did was get the one I thought looked the best and would give me the sound I wanted. I didn't look at the cfm chart until today.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
After seeing some of the complaints about the APR, I might just go back to my original plan of getting the AF Dynamic intake off ebay for 180.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
So from what I've learned from that link, I should get the 034 Insuction bundle.
my thinking too as I don't like the noise angle...but if that's what folks want then the APR is a cheap path to it.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I'm aware people don't like that guy for some reason, but he's damn thorough with those flowbench tests.
I've found his material helpful, partly because I'm a noob to the intercooler / intake world. I think it's great that he took this stuff on and shares results.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
More testing - basically shows what his last testing on this topic showed.....warmer temps to the turbo (duh) but no impact on IATs b/c of the IC. Last time his testing showed the turbo was working harder to compress the warmer air but this time not so conclusive.

My Golf Mk7 | My experience with a Volkswagen Mk7 GTI/R

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Jeff needs to get a dyno. The end.
100% - would be great. I can think of so many tests to debunk so much shit info online...

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Great analysis by Jeff, like we always say the GTI's stock airbox is fine. I'd like to know how APR came up with the 12/13 power gains using this intake, as said...Jeff needs a dyno lol. Something that might help me is my turbo blanket, as they have been shown to lower underhood temps by a decent margin.

I do love the BoV-like whooosh sound though upshifting. It is something I have missed since my Integra was turbo charged.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I would think an open intake is a disadvantage for some activities like drag strip or autocross where engine gets stressed briefly and then gets into a slow moving line with the hood down, for the next run.

last weekend on my fifth run, my pre-run idle iat hit 178 and never got below 134 during the run. timing corrections. trim spike. I don't think an open intake would help, unless the noise is enough to scare my competitors :)