GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New APR Intake System for Only $189.95!

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Mine just arrived 20 minutes ago. I was too excited to wait so I decided to throw it on. Spent 10 minutes digging through the styrofoam packing to find the SAI filter to no avail. Had to call APR to find out that it is a different shipment that I was not notified about or provided a tracking number for, and still hasn't shipped. Kind of annoying. On the shelf it goes for now.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I said it was legal for them to send it to you. It's illegal to install it onto your emissions controlled car and use it on a public road.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I was talking about the Mk7 lights. How can the lights be DOT approved if the sweeping lights do not meet DOT specs? Do the tailights also have reflectors built into them? I don't for one second believe that the lights on my GF's Cooper are actually DOT approved. It's just printed on the side of the light. The factory lights have DOT molded onto the lens. I think there is also an "SAE" molded on the lens.
I was talking about mk7 lights too. Not all of them have sweeping indicators

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
I got mine installed in about 30 minutes. I oiled the SAI filter with K&N oil, and zip tied it under the intake mount so that it not touching the coolant line and is under the intake so I don’t have to look at it.

I like how huge the filter is and it is made of regular engine plastic to good price.

Attachments

• C28753B8-2F05-4567-BE5C-4A639B4959CD.jpeg
    C28753B8-2F05-4567-BE5C-4A639B4959CD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 114
  • 644F5893-2810-40E9-9E13-55893D9EF121.jpeg
    644F5893-2810-40E9-9E13-55893D9EF121.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 107

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
Mine just arrived 20 minutes ago. I was too excited to wait so I decided to throw it on. Spent 10 minutes digging through the styrofoam packing to find the SAI filter to no avail. Had to call APR to find out that it is a different shipment that I was not notified about or provided a tracking number for, and still hasn't shipped. Kind of annoying. On the shelf it goes for now.
That sucks. The SAI filter was out of stock on the website when I ordered on Saturday so I just picked one up at my local specialty shop yesterday when I was getting my oil changed. Looks like they’re back in stock now.

For what it’s worth, if you’re in the Atlanta area, Southside Autowerks in Newnan is where it’s at. Grant is the owner/operator and he’s phenomenal and a great dude.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
Mine is arriving tomorrow but if anyone in California wants it and wants to throw me an extra few bucks for my time you can have it just shoot me a pm because I wasn’t planning on putting this thing on this year anyway

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
SAME! What the heck APR?! Just kept digging, still not secondary air filter.

Edit: I see you were missing the primary filter, apparently the secondary IS NOT INCLUDED.

Kinda dumb that a required part is not included in the kit and not even made clear on the website or manual that one should be purchased separately.

Edit 2: Now i gotta pay $10 to ship the breather filter to my house.....

Edit 3: Found the APR filter on ebay with free shipping

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Sorry about that. The SAI filter is only used on engine codes that have it, which make up the minority of the vehicles in which this intake fits.

And you're right. I messed up here. I don't know how I missed it, but all other intakes have this message (except this one): Models with Secondary Air Injection (SAI) require a breather filter (CI100020-A). That would explain why several people were upset. I simply did not hear the same on other intakes, so I was confused. Again, I apologize.

White18

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Heat soak is more of an intercooler thing, or something more related to metal intakes that retain heat. There will be hot air in the engine bay but you have to consider how much air your intake consumes, and how much is going into the engine bay when you drive (it's a lot). So, while this may see a higher IAT sitting at idle, it will drop quickly once you move. Mass airflow will be higher. Pressure drop across the compressor will be lower (which means lower discharge temps and slower turbo shaft speeds).
My experience comes more from the LS world but I wanted to mention something we found was significant in our applications. The LS MAF have a temp sensors to measure IAT. The sensing element is a thermistor. Thermistors have a "Thermal Time Constant" defined as "The time required for a thermistor to change 63.2% of the total difference between its initial and final body temperature when subjected to a step function change in temperature, under zero power conditions". We found that some thermistors have TC that are 10-15 seconds or longer. Others, usually more expensive and used in more critical situations, like expensive sport cars, have a TC of just a few seconds. Since TC defines the time it takes the thermistor to report 63% of a temperature step change, a drag racer with a high TC thermistor will be thru the 1/4 mile before the IAT reported actually reflects the temp of the air entering the engine. We replaced the slow TC thermistor with faster ones to get better, more accurate readings. I don't know what VW uses but just wanted to bring it up.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI

Edit: I see you were missing the primary filter, apparently the secondary IS NOT INCLUDED.

Kinda dumb that a required part is not included in the kit and not even made clear on the website or manual that one should be purchased separately.

I ordered the intake and SAI filter at the same time. But I wasn't notified that the breather was either not available at the time or shipping separately, and did not receive shipping/tracking info for it until i called to inquire where it was.

Should be here tomorrow though so I'll definitely be installing Saturday at the latest hopefully.

White18

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Unrelated cut and paste post… the only late model vw engines that are using MAF’s are the budack cycle ones (b) , mk7 and 7.5 all use the gen3 motor that’s speed density based.
My comment was not "cut and paste". I related my own experience with LS motors. Like I said, I do not know how VW determines IAT but wanted to see if IAT values that did not lag actual IAT by seconds were needed in VW motors.

turbo_dreams

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

Really thrilled to find this out.

I should have known it was too good to be true that the intake was only $189.

Edit: Called APR and was told that I need to purchase it separately. They didn't seem to be willing to just ship the filter even though the listing doesn't explicitly say it's not included. Pretty disappointing.

Last edited:

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Does any intake that does not provide a bung for the sai provide a filter for it?

Last edited:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Not to agree or disagree with APR shipping them with the Intake but you can grab one at AutoZone/Advanced Auto for like 10-15 bucks... A quick walk-in.