GOLFMKV

New APR Intake System for Only $189.95!

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
The APR Open PEX Intake System is Here!

http://goapr.io/mqbpex

The APR Open PEX Intake System is the best dollar-per-horsepower intake system for the 1.8T/2.0T Engine! We’ve maximized performance and sound dramatically by reducing pressure drop and increasing airflow. This translates to more horsepower and torque, and less physical strain on the turbocharger. The system looks great, sounds amazing, and produces more horsepower and torque you can feel.

Quick Info

• More horsepower with gains up to +12 AWHP over stock
  • More torque with gains of up to +13 AWFT-LBS over stock
  • Greatly outflows the full factory frontal airbox by 60% at 833 CFM vs 521 CFM
  • High heat deflection PEX construction
  • Massive 7” washable and reusable cotton filter with a frontal inlet and 4” rear outlet
  • Creates an intoxicating intake sound in the engine bay
  • Improves throttle response
  • Lessens pressure drop
  • Lessens strain on the turbocharger
  • Lessens heat retention compared to other materials, such as metal
  • Compatible with APR and factory rear intake tubes and turbo inlet pipes
  • Easily installs in minutes

Our Open PEX Intake System does away with the closed airbox design and uses a massive 7” washable and reusable cotton filter with a frontal inlet and 4” rear outlet. This was necessary to limit pressure drop across the factory system and maximize airflow, while allowing you to fully hear the engine breathe! The massive filter provides excellent filtration. By oversizing the filter, we’re able to limit pressure drop without sacrificing filtration. This is made possible through the use of greatly increased filter surface area. The PEX material give the intake an Oem feel and it allows us to make a complex and organic heat shield shape that keeps hot air pushed through the frontal radiator away from the intake tract. Lastly, PEX retains heat less than other materials, such as metal, making it ideal for performance.

Overview, Sound, and Install Video

Flow Bench

The factory intake system simply can’t match the performance of our intake system. The full factory frontal airbox only flows 521 CFM at 28” of H2O. We improved this by 60% with our open airbox, which flows 833 CFM by comparison! However, it’s important to always look at the intake system as a whole as flow numbers alone don’t always speak to the broader picture. The factory turbocharger can only flow just under 400 CFM through the factory opening, and any intake system will lessen maximum flow. The goal is to minimize all restrictions before the turbocharger as much as possible to maximize performance. The full factory system brings this down to 275 CFM, or 31% less. The full APR System (Open airbox, rear pipe, and turbo inlet pipe), bring this down to 345 CFM, which is only 13% less, or a 25% improvement over stock! This directly translates to more power you can feel. Our full bolt on APR Tuned S3 saw max gains of 12 AWHP and 13 AWFT-LBS of torque using the full intake system compared to stock! These are solid gains that make a noticeable difference in performance!

Photos

Get the details

http://goapr.io/mqbpex

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Looks great, @Arin@APR . A couple of quick questions (apologies if it's answered somewhere, I could only quickly skim at work). If we're using a silicone tube, like the MST for example, that is designed to work with the stock air box, there shouldn't be any issues continuing to use it, correct? What is the battery size in the photos and video? I'm running a Group 48 and it is usually one of the factors that comes into play with aftermarket intakes.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
This is designed to work with the factory back tube and any back tube that works with the factory intake. The same is true for all of our intakes. I don't know the answer on the battery but I recall we had to make an adjustment so it fit a longer version. Fitment is the same as our carbon fiber version, which we've sold many thousands of, and I'm not aware of hearing of fitment issues with the battery. So, my guess is you're good.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
You want noise… go with this one.

You want to test the sound of an open filter you can borrow my eBay one in the garage.
i love the idea of being able to remove the plexiglass cover from the S&B intake to switch between open & closed, but i haven't seen any videos showing the sound without the cover. this APR one does seems like the best bang for your buck tho

and i'm down to meet up again sometime soon and try it out, pretty sure i should finally be getting my car back today

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
What about that small barb for the rubber vacuum(?) line on the stock intake? I don't see any of the SAI filter kits including a spot to hook this up

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Looks like a nice option! Who do you source your filter from? Are you able to order it without the filter?

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
but if your decision is purely based on noise, why pay almost twice as much for the ie?
You are right in terms of cost.

That said, aren't all of our decisions regarding intakes based on noise/looks? As I understand it the stock intake system is plenty good. What I meant is if noise is a factor you can get a similar sound with the ie if you like the way that looks more.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
You are right in terms of cost.

That said, aren't all of our decisions regarding intakes based on noise/looks? As I understand it the stock intake system is plenty good. What I meant is if noise is a factor you can get a similar sound with the ie if you like the way that looks more.
Yeah, that was in regards to cost…and well fitment - you’ll find a much higher percent of ie: owners who are just “ok” with the fitment of the IE product. I ran the V1 on my car - it’s very loud. But the metal shield was trash for an expensive product.