avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I'm tempted to get this. A little concerned about the hot air thing though. My car suffers as is being in Florida.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
We're in Alabama and know what heat and humidity is like. You're good :)
How does an open intake like this not suck in more hot engine bay air compared to the stock design? Seems like this type of intake would heat soak more quickly at a stop, and recover more slowly when you’d start moving. Any data/tests on this? I’m not being combative — honest questions.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Heat soak is more of an intercooler thing, or something more related to metal intakes that retain heat. There will be hot air in the engine bay but you have to consider how much air your intake consumes, and how much is going into the engine bay when you drive (it's a lot). So, while this may see a higher IAT sitting at idle, it will drop quickly once you move. Mass airflow will be higher. Pressure drop across the compressor will be lower (which means lower discharge temps and slower turbo shaft speeds).

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I have the IE intake and am happy with it, but this looks like a well-executed product for a nice price.

CiDirkona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK3 TT, MK1 Atlas SE
Ordered, thanks for the heads up @Arin@APR !

...it only KINDA bugs me that the SAI filter is white when the regular filter is red... so I might spray some K&N oil on the itty bitty one just so they match... :D

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
This is designed to work with the factory back tube and any back tube that works with the factory intake. The same is true for all of our intakes. I don't know the answer on the battery but I recall we had to make an adjustment so it fit a longer version. Fitment is the same as our carbon fiber version, which we've sold many thousands of, and I'm not aware of hearing of fitment issues with the battery. So, my guess is you're good.
So if someone has the 034 inlet pipe, would this intake work for that? Or are they the same size?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
How does an open intake like this not suck in more hot engine bay air compared to the stock design? Seems like this type of intake would heat soak more quickly at a stop, and recover more slowly when you’d start moving. Any data/tests on this? I’m not being combative — honest questions.
If you want to understand it, spend the time over at mygolfmk7.com. Jeff has done the testing. The simple explanation of open intakes is:

More flow.

Hotter air to the turbo (duh) which will make the turbo spin a little faster to compress the slightly less dense air.

However.....you have an intercooler and Jeff's testing shows that open or closed, your IATs are effectively the same.

His testing also shows that if the open intake is shielded (as this APR one is), that lessens the air temp into the filter.

Heatsoak is an IC thing and mainly refering to repeated power bursts (pulls) that overcome the IC's cooling efficiency.

I say enjoy the woosh and psssh and run an open filter intake.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Looks good and is very affordable. Glad it's available in something other than carbon fiber, but I do wish it had a dry filter option.

Last edited:

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
This intake system looks great to me. It's a simple open air intake made out of a simple material, and at a fair price. It's exactly what our platform needs. Thank you APR.

I have the SB sitting in my closet you can have if you want. It's missing one of the rubber mounting grommets for mounting at the bottom but otherwise fine.
You can order a new gromet from S&B for like 3 dollars if you call them. Came super quickly too

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Shipping to HI 😩
APR.PNG

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Heat soak is more of an intercooler thing, or something more related to metal intakes that retain heat. There will be hot air in the engine bay but you have to consider how much air your intake consumes, and how much is going into the engine bay when you drive (it's a lot). So, while this may see a higher IAT sitting at idle, it will drop quickly once you move. Mass airflow will be higher. Pressure drop across the compressor will be lower (which means lower discharge temps and slower turbo shaft speeds).
Any comparison of those benefits versus your closed intake?