GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New APR Intake System for Only $189.95!

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
You are right in terms of cost.

That said, aren't all of our decisions regarding intakes based on noise/looks? As I understand it the stock intake system is plenty good. What I meant is if noise is a factor you can get a similar sound with the ie if you like the way that looks more.
if your decision is purely based on noise, why pay almost twice as much

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
What about that small barb for the rubber vacuum(?) line on the stock intake? I don't see any of the SAI filter kits including a spot to hook this up

It hooks up on the barb under here:

Looks like a nice option! Who do you source your filter from? Are you able to order it without the filter?

I can't give out supplier information, but this is a high quality cotton gauze filter. The country of origin is the USA if that matters to you. It's washable and reusable. If you ever want to replace it, you can buy this:

https://www.goapr.com/RF100015

I don't sell it without the filter.

Metal / Fitment on other systems

I think you'll find this system fits great and it doesn't get hot like metal. PEX is fantastic in that regard. We're able to make organic shapes that fit the engine bay, and PEX has excellent properties for rejecting heat, not retaining it. It's much like Carbon Fiber, in many aspects (heat/organic shapes), but doesn't have the labor involved, which really drives up the price. But, if you want tha carbon fiber look like me (I'm a sucker for it), the https://www.goapr.com/CI100040 will do it.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
As long as no ones claiming this is going to make you more horsepower or turn your car into a flying unicorn, looks like a smart choice. The stock intake/exhaust systems are excellently designed to handle well over 450hp, and at that point you have more to worry about than the intake.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
It hooks up on the barb under here:

I can't give out supplier information, but this is a high quality cotton gauze filter. The country of origin is the USA if that matters to you. It's washable and reusable. If you ever want to replace it, you can buy this:

https://www.goapr.com/RF100015

I don't sell it without the filter.

I think you'll find this system fits great and it doesn't get hot like metal. PEX is fantastic in that regard. We're able to make organic shapes that fit the engine bay, and PEX has excellent properties for rejecting heat, not retaining it. It's much like Carbon Fiber, in many aspects (heat/organic shapes), but doesn't have the labor involved, which really drives up the price. But, if you want tha carbon fiber look like me (I'm a sucker for it), the https://www.goapr.com/CI100040 will do it.
Any plans on releasing a dry filter?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'd love a dry filter.
easier to clean, don't have to bother oiling it (which ill probably f up lol)

this guy gets it

My aFe Pro Dry S has been great for the last 50k (cleaned every 10k following aFe's instructions). Same reasoning as above as to why a dry filter is preferred for me, but it's also a stock replacement inside the box, so it's not exposed to the elements like the open intake filter will be. Maybe the oiled makes more sense on an open intake since it gets hit with more crap?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
So, from what I've mostly see, the flow rate of the dry filters, all things equal, goes down. A lot just throw them away rather than cleaning, but you can blow them out with compressed air. However, flow rate drops compared to a fully clean cotton gauze set. Anyways, that's mostly why we've focused on the Cotton Gauze filters. You're always welcome to switch it up down the road though!

simple_MK

Car(s)
GTI
This intake system looks great to me. It's a simple open air intake made out of a simple material, and at a fair price. It's exactly what our platform needs. Thank you APR.

now I need to choose between this, IE v2 and S&B
I have the SB sitting in my closet you can have if you want. It's missing one of the rubber mounting grommets for mounting at the bottom but otherwise fine.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
So, from what I've mostly see, the flow rate of the dry filters, all things equal, goes down. A lot just throw them away rather than cleaning, but you can blow them out with compressed air. However, flow rate drops compared to a fully clean cotton gauze set. Anyways, that's mostly why we've focused on the Cotton Gauze filters. You're always welcome to switch it up down the road though!
FWIW the difference in airflow isn't that significant from what I've seen. For example, S&B claims +28.13% airflow w/ their dry filter vs +29.36% w/ their oiled filter

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
My aFe Pro Dry S has been great for the last 50k (cleaned every 10k following aFe's instructions). Same reasoning as above as to why a dry filter is preferred for me, but it's also a stock replacement inside the box, so it's not exposed to the elements like the open intake filter will be. Maybe the oiled makes more sense on an open intake since it gets hit with more crap?
Mind PMing me the instructions for cleaning the filter? Just realized mine is at 11k miles and I haven't done it.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
btw im pretty sure aFe recommends every 20-30k miles, not 10k