GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New APR Intake System for Only $189.95!

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Honestly, I'd just run the oiled filter and swap to the dry when you want to replace it if cleaning is not your thing (That's the point of the dry, correct me if I'm wrong?)
Yeah, but since you work there, you can probably snag one off the shelf for free :ROFLMAO: I mean math wise, it's still not bad. You'd be looking at like $250-ish all in, which is still below most of the others on the market.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
ETA wise I don't really have a timeline. I'm not sure how quickly it can be done. I think we'll probably start with the dry filter alone to gauge interest. Honestly, I'd just run the oiled filter and swap to the dry when you want to replace it if cleaning is not your thing (That's the point of the dry, correct me if I'm wrong?)
Dry filters are still washable, you just eliminate the need to oil it (and potentially over oil it).

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
I would highly recommend not washing the dry filter. Solvents and solutions for cleaning will destroy the media. You can blow compressed air through it a few times, but the main thing with those types of filters is that you toss them when they get pretty trashed. The compressed air trick is really just for dust. Normal road grime, like when they get black and such, are not really cleanable. Honestly, given the inexpensive cost of the filters (either of them), I personally just toss mine and get a new when it becomes super gross beyond a good wash (oiled). I'll still be looking at the getting a dry filter on the table though since people want them.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I would highly recommend not washing the dry filter. Solvents and solutions for cleaning will destroy the media. You can blow compressed air through it a few times, but the main thing with those types of filters is that you toss them when they get pretty trashed. The compressed air trick is really just for dust. Normal road grime, like when they get black and such, are not really cleanable. Honestly, given the inexpensive cost of the filters (either of them), I personally just toss mine and get a new when it becomes super gross beyond a good wash (oiled). I'll still be looking at the getting a dry filter on the table though since people want them.
Lol if was our plan was to just toss and replace then we wouldn't care about the dry filter at all and just replace the oiled filter with a new oiled one

Maybe there's more than meets the eye but my experience the dry filter comes out looking good as new when I've washed them

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
You should look into what aFe is doing. I've washed my dry filter a few times since buying it per their instructions.
https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/installation_instructions/31-10249-is.pdf

I assume this is what most of us are thinking when we think "dry filter."

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Also worth noting that aFe warrants OEM replacement drop-in filters for the life of the vehicle that it was originally installed in. So, replacement filter sales revenue would go away, theoretically, since it should last the life of the car.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Then why does aFe sell a liquid cleaner and recommends it use?

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
I just prefer dry filters because I'm used to the days when people would over oil the k&n's and kill the MAFs on their mk3s and 4s. But I also like the extra little bit of filtration you get from a dry filter, without having to go through the whole oiling process and relying on the oil to filter out particles.

I know I'm definitely in the minority wanting a dry filter the same color as the oiled (red). But I like how it matches the red trim on the car when I pop the hood, and the way it contrasts with the blue.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Then why does aFe sell a liquid cleaner and recommends it use?

My guess would be it comes down to the filter material and the flow properties. We'll be targeting similar flow rates to our cotton gauze oiled filtered, but it won't be as good.

Edit. Spoke to engineering. Oiled has the best flow and the dry filter material would be pretty good, but not as good. When it comes to Dry washable filters, you need to use a tightly packed synthetic material that doesn't flow as well as the others. They aren't lifetime filters either. Dry synthetic has a shelf/wash life. I'm going to seek a little more info on all this so I can get into the weeds on the nerd specs for my own good. :)

TL;DR

Oiled - Best flow - washable for life
Dry - less flow - not washable, just light dusting / blowing with compressed air
Dry washable - least flow - washable for a limited time

I know Oiled / Dry are roughly the same price to you. I don't know what it would be for the Dry washable.

With this info, what do you guys want?

Last edited: