GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New 2021s still arriving at dealers?

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
The S appears to be getting a different interface than the SE, Autobahn and R that has physical buttons. You can see it on the configurator, but I haven't seen any real world pics of it.

Interesting. I checked some of the ROW sites and dealers but none of the GTIs or golfs seem to have that setup. Also of note. It appears the base golf (where its sold) has physical steering wheel buttons as opposed to haptic. Definitely an upgrade i'd consider assuming plug and play.

OLD MEN RULE

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Ler us hope that VW sees the error in it's way and gives us back some physical buttons as Honda did, not likely as us Germans never make mistakes.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Ler us hope that VW sees the error in it's way and gives us back some physical buttons as Honda did, not likely as us Germans never make mistakes.
I think you're out of luck. The latest software update and increased hardware power seems to have made some progress in terms of user satisfaction. I do find it odd that the GTI/R don't have the OTA updates that the ID3/ID4 get though, you still have to go to the dealer for updates, that's disappointing. The one remaining blunder though remains the lack of back lighting on the main screen slider and the steering wheel volume slider. I would hope they get around to adding backlighting to those before long.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R

there are still some physical buttons available on some lower trim vehicles. I feel like this will be a popular swap.

RXXXII

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 VW GTI Autobahn
That's a wrap for all the MK7 GTI's. Below are VW sales numbers for the year, with most of the Q4 2021 sales likely almost all MK8 GTI's. Source: https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/1646

US SalesQ4 2021Q4 2020Yr/Yr%Full Year 2021Full Year 2020Yr/Yr%
Golf61,963-99.7%2,9416,063-51.5%
GTI7812,600-70.0%6,18311,461-46.1%
Golf R2212100.0%271,193-97.7%

GR4H4M

Car(s)
2016 Golf
A different take on the buttons
I watched this yesterday. He made a few good points about the shortcuts but comparing haptic controls in cars to touchscreen phones was a bad analogy.
It's not at all the same thing. Taking your eyes off the road to make sure you hit the Next Track button is just bad engineering. Right now I can leave my thumb on the button and scan through songs without any visual requirement. Why take that away from me?
And hitting the volume button a few times is nothing. "You gotta hit it 16 times." Bro, what? Swiping it like that is ridiculous.
I think they'll go back to physical buttons, as well. I mean, no light up climate controls? Really? VW overshot this in their post scandal electropanic.
We'd still have nice carpeted door pockets and felt gloveboxes if it weren't for that diesel nonsense.
I'm so mad that I can finally afford an R and they pull this sht.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
That's a wrap for all the MK7 GTI's. Below are VW sales numbers for the year, with most of the Q4 2021 sales likely almost all MK8 GTI's. Source: https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/1646

US SalesQ4 2021Q4 2020Yr/Yr%Full Year 2021Full Year 2020Yr/Yr%
Golf61,963-99.7%2,9416,063-51.5%
GTI7812,600-70.0%6,18311,461-46.1%
Golf R2212100.0%271,193-97.7%

the 22 golf Rs this quarter is confusing unless mk8s that are sold but not delivered are included?

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I'm so mad that I can finally afford an R and they pull this sht.
“Niggas want my old shit, buy my old albums”

There are a ton of clean mk7s and 7.5s on the market that you can afford as well.
Or retrofit base mk8 golf controls and you’ll have buttons.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
“Niggas want my old shit, buy my old albums”

There are a ton of clean mk7s and 7.5s on the market that you can afford as well.
Or retrofit base mk8 golf controls and you’ll have buttons.
Except right now you are buying a used R with low miles and warranty for more than it cost new...

Also, it usually takes a few years to get these kinds of swaps working..

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Except right now you are buying a used R with low miles and warranty for more than it cost new...

Also, it usually takes a few years to get these kinds of swaps working..

Still not more than a mk8 though, esp w markups. And if you get a 2019 w a later in service date the warranty would probably be longer than a mk8 if you’re buying early next year. Whoever ends up w my car is going to have a warranty through April 29th 2026 or 64,000 miles based on what’s left. Any 2022s purchased before April 29 will have less time remaining than my car does and 14,000 fewer miles as it sits now, and it’s not even certified. a similar car if it was cpo would be through 4/29/2027 or 76,000. Almost any cpo 19 is going to have a warranty that’s as long or longer than a 2022.