GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New 2021s still arriving at dealers?

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Mom bought a used car. Was an amazing deal, but they added on like $2k in trackers, window tint, nitrogen that wasn't listed.
Flat out told them take it all off. They said they couldn't. Ok, that's your loss cause I'm not paying for it. Of course I was nicer about it, but yeah, was removed from price of car.
Regular air only has 78% Nitrogen.

100% has to be better, come on Monkey.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Regular air only has 78% Nitrogen.

100% has to be better, come on Monkey.

I think hydrogen would be even better. It's much lighter

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
This one has a better soundtrack.

1621814480961.png

RXXXII

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 VW GTI Autobahn
Curious, when is the release of the MK8? End of year November or December? That's a looong time for the remaining MK7's. Only 700 now on Cars.com. Which means probably a smidge over 1000 since not all dealers are on Cars.com. There are going to be slim pickings in a few months and through end of year. Then no deals on the MK8's at first. Just a terrible time to buy a car with no end in sight.
The 2022 Mk8 goes on sale in the U.S. in the third quarter of 2021, at least from what I've read online. That's a noncommittal answer, and with the chip shortage, I can imagine that date being pushed back.

There are already slim pickings for 2021 GTI's if you want a specific trim and color. It's possible inventory will almost be gone sometime in July.

Manual transmission models will be the hardest to come by, especially in Autobahn trim - only 12 remaining on cars.com.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
The 2022 Mk8 goes on sale in the U.S. in the third quarter of 2021, at least from what I've read online. That's a noncommittal answer, and with the chip shortage, I can imagine that date being pushed back.

There are already slim pickings for 2021 GTI's if you want a specific trim and color. It's possible inventory will almost be gone sometime in July.

Manual transmission models will be the hardest to come by, especially in Autobahn trim - only 12 remaining on cars.com.

I'd be shocked if it isn't pushed back or there aren't massive shortages with huge price gouging unless chips suddenly become available en masse. The GTI and R are lower margin vehicles, lower volume vehicles. If VW has chips available and is debating between putting them in Golfs or SUVs, they're going to pick SUVs.

68wooley

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG/DCC
I'm hearing it could be another 18 months before the chip shortage sorts itself out - I think that means two things: MK8's will be in short supply for a while, with probable "market adjustments" :cautious: by dealers, and second-hand values are going to remain high - which is only a good thing if you can actually sell without having to buy immediately. If you can downsize or possibly do without a second car for a while, now's a good time to sell and sit on the money for a bit before the inevitable correction when supply eventually catches up to demand.

On the other hand, you'll have plenty of people telling you sitting on cash right now is insane given the effective rate of inflation at the moment must be off the chart...

Last edited:

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I'm hearing it cold be another 18 months before the chip shortage sorts itself out - I think that means two things: MK8's will be in short supply for a while, with probable "market adjustments" :cautious: by dealers, and second-hand values are going to remain high - which is only a good thing if you can actually sell without having to buy immediately. If you can downsize or possibly do without a second car for a while, now's a good time to sell and sit on the money for a bit before the inevitable correction when supply eventually catches up to demand.

On the other hand, you'll have plenty of people telling you sitting on cash right now is insane given the effective rate of inflation at the moment must be off the chart...

Strongly considering selling my R if resale values remain where they're at or increase a bit more later this year. Its been driven 1500 miles since last August so going down to one car and eliminating a $600 monthyl note plus another 100 or so in insurance makes a ton of sense, even w inflation.

68wooley

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG/DCC
Strongly considering selling my R if resale values remain where they're at or increase a bit more later this year. Its been driven 1500 miles since last August so going down to one car and eliminating a $600 monthyl note plus another 100 or so in insurance makes a ton of sense, even w inflation.
Sounds like in your case it would make sense regardless of the current situation, but especially so right now.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Sounds like in your case it would make sense regardless of the current situation, but especially so right now.

It makes more sense now because I bought it last April and it’s only got 6900 miles so the current situation has basically eliminated the initial depreciation hit. Normal times I'd have to bring money to the table to sell this soon since I put nothing down because of 0% APR.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
It makes more sense now because I bought it last April and it’s only got 6900 miles so the current situation has basically eliminated the initial depreciation hit. Normal times I'd have to bring money to the table to sell this soon since I put nothing down because of 0% APR.
I have to think this is peak time to sell, right? So many folks have mentioned the lack of current R's availability and you could probably make a killing on the private market, especially with that low of mileage.

We went a little over a year with one car, it was actually really nice. I lived close to a train station that made getting to work easier than driving had been, and the wife had a reasonably practical car. If you have the ability to comfortably do it and won't miss the car, why not? You can always find a replacement if needed, and if you wait out the chip shortage, might even find a nice deal on what you want next.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I have to think this is peak time to sell, right? So many folks have mentioned the lack of current R's availability and you could probably make a killing on the private market, especially with that low of mileage.

We went a little over a year with one car, it was actually really nice. I lived close to a train station that made getting to work easier than driving had been, and the wife had a reasonably practical car. If you have the ability to comfortably do it and won't miss the car, why not? You can always find a replacement if needed, and if you wait out the chip shortage, might even find a nice deal on what you want next.
Vroom already offered me 41.

We were one car for two years before I bought this one. Really got the R because of the 0%, low inventory and being sick of my wife’s 20 year old Ford, not out of any desperate need. Recently discovered my wife haaaates driving my car so we just ditched the escape for a new bronco sport. we both work from home now, and took the train to work previously/would if we ever go back. We live 100 yards from the el train so in theory we could go carless.

all of the reasons for keeping it are emotional/ego centric. I spent the two years after selling my previous R lusting after another. Partially because I was driving a POS, but I don't think the Bronco is going to scratch that itch.

Last edited:

spaceworm

Passed Driver's Ed
It's been fun following the leasehackr forums and seeing how the market has gotten so crazy this last month specially. Those guys are hardcore deal hunters and now a good deal for them is MSRP and winning the battle not to accept dealer add-ons or interest rate markups. Even people who would not buy at Tier 2 financing before, now you see them taking the crummy deals.

For used car values, check out the market reports at blackbook . My 2016 GTI has followed that appreciation curve pretty closely week by week. I've noticed Shift and Carvana's offers follow that trend a week behind. Prices are still increasing but slower every week for our compact segment (~1% - 1,5% per week for the last 4 months). A 2016 GTI S base with 60k miles for 18k is hard to resist selling. Will probably have a few hundred more to go before peak.

If you don't really really need a new car right now, don't buy one. I'll be driving my beater A6 for a while and jump back in for a low mileage MK7.5 when things normalize.

Last edited: