GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New 2021 GTI SE - Intro and Question

BarryM

Car(s)
2021 GTI
Hello, I picked up my new GTI SE "Pure White" with 6MT this week and have really been enjoying driving it. Thanks for letting me join the group, looks to be quite a resource for these fine cars. I had a Golf back in the 90s and we've had a few Jetta TDIs, a 1998 sedan and a 2009 Sportwagen - so hardly new to VWs.

I have a question about the Infotainment system - specifically the function that "reads" the SMS to you and you can respond in several ways. Yesterday morning I know I was getting texts read through the infotainment system, and then nothing. I have deleted my phone from the system and reconnected it - no joy. I think I have inadvertently altered a system parameter in infotainment, but going through the menu settings for the phone function haven't found anything on SMS function, and the manual on the infotainment doesn't address troubleshooting.

I plan on asking the dealership about this next week, but thought I'd see if the "collective" has any experience with this matter and found a solution. I'm about ready to set the inforainment system back to "factory specs" and start over.

Thanks in advance,

Barry

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Congrats on the purchase! What kind of phone are you using? Is this via bluetooth using VW's system or something like CarPlay or Android Auto?

BarryM

Car(s)
2021 GTI
Thanks! I'm using an "ancient" Windows Phone - a Nokia Lumia 1020, but I never had a problem with this in my X3 (traded in on the GTI) and it worked for a few hours in GTI. I think it's user error, perhaps when I cancelled a text I inadvertently shut off the SMS. The infotainment connects to the phone via BT, and I have access to all my contacts and can make and receive calls; it's just the SMS bit that has stopped for some reason.