GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New '17 R Owner

oraor

Hi everyone,
I recently picked up a '17 Golf R Manual with ~30k Kms. This is my first VW and lately I found out that the clutch slips in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. I took it back to the dealership (Volkswagen Villa) and they bled the clutch and sent me on my way. The clutch is still slipping. After doing some research, I found out that the clutch is the weakest point on those cars. Would anyone have any recommendations on what I should do next?

Thank you

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Have a tech go for a ride so he can experience it slipping. I didn't even say get a DSG like I wanted to. ? Oh wait......

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I don't think it makes sense to pay for a new clutch and flywheel on a car with that low mileage. That being said, I am doing research on aftermarket clutches
If the clutch is slipping that badly, then it unfortunately does make sense to get a replacement, regardless of mileage.

That or trade the car in for a model with dsg.

IanStrictlyEuropean

Car(s)
2016 Golf R
To be honest, we do at least 15-20 clutches a year on Golf R's. They are definitely the weak point, and we generally recommend to our customers to use a Sachs performance clutch kit. Seems like VW underestimated the abuse these clutches would see. The furthest I've seen a stock one go at this shop was around 60k, the shortest was 5000kms!

https://strictlyeuropeanmotors.com/...lutch_kit_volkswagen_golf_r_002352999502.html

^
Just incase you wanted to see it.

oraor

To be honest, we do at least 15-20 clutches a year on Golf R's. They are definitely the weak point, and we generally recommend to our customers to use a Sachs performance clutch kit. Seems like VW underestimated the abuse these clutches would see. The furthest I've seen a stock one go at this shop was around 60k, the shortest was 5000kms!

https://strictlyeuropeanmotors.com/...lutch_kit_volkswagen_golf_r_002352999502.html

^
Just incase you wanted to see it.

Have you seen issues with the DMF mated to this clutch? I was looking at the DKM stage 3 clutch in case I decide to tune the car later on but still undecided.
Also, what is a rough estimate of the labor cost for a clutch job on the Rs?

Thank you

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Sorry to hear this OP. It's very much dependent on how the previous owner drove it and how you currently drive it.

I am VERY fortunate the previous owner of my 16 R is an older gent who my wife and I got to meet when he came in to see the Atlas he traded his old car in for. We bought it in 2017 with 14K. Fast forward now and it has a JB1 with a custom Map 6 and the clutch barely slips with 19K on it.

Another example: I went from stock to ED Stg 2 on my Mk7 GTI. After a several weeks of daily driving, I felt slip in high gears between 3-4K (some will remember my posts in the Eurodyne thread), but not bad enough to need a new clutch. I ended up trading it in for the R. To my knowledge, the gent who bought my car used it as a daily with the same clutch and finally replaced it in 2018 because he wanted to build a track car.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Too bad you didn't put it in 4th and drive off from a stop when you first test drove it. They would have had to put in a new clutch in for free.

oraor

Sorry to hear this OP. It's very much dependent on how the previous owner drove it and how you currently drive it.

I am VERY fortunate the previous owner of my 16 R is an older gent who my wife and I got to meet when he came in to see the Atlas he traded his old car in for. We bought it in 2017 with 14K. Fast forward now and it has a JB1 with a custom Map 6 and the clutch barely slips with 19K on it.

Another example: I went from stock to ED Stg 2 on my Mk7 GTI. After a several weeks of daily driving, I felt slip in high gears between 3-4K (some will remember my posts in the Eurodyne thread), but not bad enough to need a new clutch. I ended up trading it in for the R. To my knowledge, the gent who bought my car used it as a daily with the same clutch and finally replaced it in 2018 because he wanted to build a track car.

I just find it insane that a clutch starts slipping with such low mileage. If this was a Ferrari or an Aston Martin it'd make more sense.
Oh well...