GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Neuspeed Sport springs

mk7matteo

Go Kart Champion
I’ve been running these springs for almost two years now, and they ride fine. However, I think it may be time to upgrade shocks since I’m still on my OEM’s. Does anyone have any experience pairing these or similar with some aftermarket struts? Koni yellow, or some others?

TIA

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
Yep! I've enjoyed them immensely paired with Bilstein B8s for over 3 years and counting at this point. It's a comfortable sport suspension on the street and actually nicely controlled on track. Not an overly stiff or track-focused setup by any means, but feels good all around.

You could pair them with Koni Yellows if you want the adjustability to tinker with, and go firmer rebound than the Bils. Either would be a definite improvement over OEM dampers no question.

CamarosRus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf SE
I'm a NOOB owner of a 19 Mk7 Golf SE.....

Planning on ordering 18x8.5 et 45 Wheels (VMR or Enkei) & 235/40-18 Conty DWS tires

Is the Nuespeed / Bilstein B8 the BEST Value, Best Street Set Up for lowering (NO Track)\
or our there Better Set Ups for the $$$$$

Im still reading the LONG suspension thread on this subject

Thanks Chuck Auburn,WA

mk7matteo

Go Kart Champion
Yep! I've enjoyed them immensely paired with Bilstein B8s for over 3 years and counting at this point. It's a comfortable sport suspension on the street and actually nicely controlled on track. Not an overly stiff or track-focused setup by any means, but feels good all around.

You could pair them with Koni Yellows if you want the adjustability to tinker with, and go firmer rebound than the Bils. Either would be a definite improvement over OEM dampers no question.

thanks man!

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I run these springs with Koni Yellows (had both installed at the same time). The ride is stiff, planted, and I like it. My wife rides with me occasionally, and she doesn't complain, although she can clearly tell the ride is harsher than in her Beetle. Could my good suspension setup, or could just be a good wife. :)

mk7matteo

Go Kart Champion
S
I run these springs with Koni Yellows (had both installed at the same time). The ride is stiff, planted, and I like it. My wife rides with me occasionally, and she doesn't complain, although she can clearly tell the ride is harsher than in her Beetle. Could my good suspension setup, or could just be a good wife. :)

Stiff, but overall pretty comfortable?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
S

Stiff, but overall pretty comfortable?

That is very subjective, but for the most part -- yes. Let's say that where I drive, the roads are pretty crappy, and I still feel fine. I got used to the stiffer suspension almost instantly.

PS
I just saw you are in Santa Clarita, so you are familiar with SoCal roads. I think you should be fine.

mk7matteo

Go Kart Champion
Santa Clarita streets are pretty smooth.?

True, they are. It's the out of town drives that can be pretty rough lol. I'm mostly looking for something that comes as close to stock as possible...I really miss the stock ride but I can't deal with the appearance of stock lol

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Yellows are track focused. I'd do special actives for the street or B6s. Tire rack compared Yellows in softest setting to sport actives and actually got a slightly better time with the sport actives on a less than perfectly smooth track. Probably not the best for quick transition xcross because their initial set feels like it takes a moment longer but firm and predictable mid turn and not upset by small imperfections (street). Here's the review of the previous version of the special active. On these cars they definitely feel firmer than stock on any road so the smoothness compared to stock will be a bit different than this review. https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/tests/koni_fsd.jsp

Last edited:

Canecreekfreak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI sport
3 years later...

Did you ever get the "sledge hammer slamming the dashboard" feeling from this set up?

I had EMD springs w/Koni yellows on my car for 2 months, and at least once a ride I would hit something that didn't seem like it would be that bad, but would make my '17 GTI violently shudder. Handling was great, but I couldn't take the harsh blows loosening every screw in my car. Maybe the EMD's were too soft and were blowing through their limited travel?

I'm now on DG springs and stock shocks, and no more sledge hammer shudders, but they wallow like a pig in mud. I'm looking for a nice handling, decent looking lowering set up that I can daily without swerving around every bump. Not sure if that's realistic w/this car.

mk7matteo

Go Kart Champion
3 years later...

Did you ever get the "sledge hammer slamming the dashboard" feeling from this set up?

I had EMD springs w/Koni yellows on my car for 2 months, and at least once a ride I would hit something that didn't seem like it would be that bad, but would make my '17 GTI violently shudder. Handling was great, but I couldn't take the harsh blows loosening every screw in my car. Maybe the EMD's were too soft and were blowing through their limited travel?

I'm now on DG springs and stock shocks, and no more sledge hammer shudders, but they wallow like a pig in mud. I'm looking for a nice handling, decent looking lowering set up that I can daily without swerving around every bump. Not sure if that's realistic w/this car.

I, myself, have now been on Koni yellows with EMD springs for nearly a year now, and I also experience that horrible “sledgehammer to the dashboard” feeling when hitting certain spots in the roads, I’ve learned to deal with it, but it is not fun. I’ve considered going back to stock shocks paired with the EMDs, but idk.

Hoping the person you responded to has some additional feedback

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
3 years later...

Very rarely do i get that sledgehammer feeling, even though the roads here are bad. If anything, i would say it's because the 18" wheels are not made for these roads when paired with a stiffer suspension. Everyone's tolerance is different, and while i am no racekar driver, i cannot say that the increased stiffness of the yellows with neuspeed springs is bad. My wife's Beetle is definitely softer (beefy tires at 29psi vs. 35-37 on the GTI), but she doesn't complain when we take my car on long weekend drives.